Chapter 3

☆☆☆

Harry drummed his fingers on the steering wheel, the staccato rhythm the only sound in the cab of his truck aside from his and Isaac's breathing. Isaac had tried to start a conversation several times, but Harry was too distracted to hold up his end.

He checked the time on his phone.

"It's two minutes later since last you looked."

Harry scowled. "She should be coming out soon."

The dinner was empty of customers and the lights in the front had been turned off. A faint glow hailed from the kitchen in the back.

"Shit!" Isaac suddenly exclaimed.

"What's wrong?"

"We can't go home. We promised to do this job."

Harry shrugged. "We'll go in the morning and work the site until we can get someone else up to complete the job."

"By the way, earlier, when I said she had a boyfriend, I meant the cute red-head, not your mate."

"I know."

He'd been too on edge to think it through in the moment, but now he remembered Raina's scent. While she had been around males, the smell of them on her was superficial. It was the type of scent she would pick up by brushing up against someone in the supermarket. It wasn't the type of mating scent that he planned to cover her with—tonight if possible.

He'd also smelled her need for him. She could resist him, deny she felt anything, but her scent didn't lie. She'd been wet for him. God, the smell of her had been so sweet. He'd wanted to drop to his knees and lick her pussy.

But most of all, Raina had scented of fear. It was that fear that had him anxious. She had no reason to be afraid of him. He knew there were humans who were biased against werewolves—believed they were nothing more than violent animals. He prayed that his mate wasn't one of those humans. He'd never hurt her and he'd fucking kill anyone else who tried. He'd set her straight on that score first—and then he'd make her his.

The lights in the kitchen went out. Minutes passed and no one exited the diner.

"Where is she?"

"There's probably a rear exit." Isaac said.

Harry swore under his breath as a premonition hit him. She was gone.

"What?"

"She's running."

Isaac straightened in his seat. "Where? I don't see her."

"I don't mean now." He got out of the truck. Pulling his keys out of his pocket, he said, "I'm going to track her on foot." He tossed the keys to Isaac and shut the door.

It would be quicker and easier to track her as a wolf, but he didn't dare shift this close to a town. The news was filled with all sorts of lies about their kind. There were some who wouldn't hesitate to shoot a wolf—especially if they suspected it to be a werewolf. It seemed that hate groups had formed minutes after they had announced their existence.

Isaac slid over into the driver's seat and rolled down the window. "I'll meet you back at the bed and breakfast."

Harry nodded.

He didn't wait for Isaac to start the truck before he jogged to the back of the restaurant. He picked up Raina's scent from amongst all the other restaurant smells easily. She smelled delicious. He was surprised when the scent didn't lessen. He'd figured it would grow faint when she got in her car, but his mate must have been on foot.