I Guess We Should've Stayed In...

Published Monday, October 10, 2022

Percy's POV
I blink and almost fall over as I land in a completely new place.

I look around me in awe, stunned by the spiraling columns, elaborate archways, and colorfully tiled floors.

To the right of me is a row of desks occupied with people in uniform and mounted on the wall behind them are boards with ticket prices and destinations, while to my left are different trains either picking people up or dropping them off. And in front of me are a row of shops advertising different things like books, clothes, furniture, jewelry, ingredients for food or for potions, weapons, et cetera.

And then there are the people...

There is a girl with brown cat ears and a brown tail which swishes behind her, a boy with purple-tinted skin, pointed ears, and violet eyes, a woman about 8'0 tall with flaking skin the color of mud, a man with clicking pincers coming out of his mouth, shiny grey skin, and bug eyes, as well as a kid with red skin and yellow designs scattering his body and an older woman with blush-toned skin, gold hair and eyes, and gems on her face and traversing her wrists, ankles, and waist.

"Woah," I mumble and clutch the strap of my bag tighter against my shoulder.

I slide my hand into my pocket to start fidgeting with my pen when people start giving me odd looks, curious expressions on their faces.

Uncomfortable, I walk over to the row of ticket windows and walk up to the first open one I spot.

I rap gently on the glass and the girl, with her nose buried in a book, yelps and startles upright with wide eyes. "Sorry," I grimace, watching her smooth down her black hair and close the book she had open.

"Umm, hi. What-what can I help you with?" she asks, her voice cracking.

"Yeah, hi. I was just wondering if I could buy a ticket to...to...err, well, I don't really know yet."

The girl blinks and nods slowly. "Right, okay. Would you like a recommendation or something?"

"That'd be great," I breath, relieved.

"Sure. So any particular reason for travel? Any specific environment or anything?"

"Well, no, not really. I just, umm-" I cut off and look behind me, noticing the people blatantly staring at me as well as the ones who hurriedly look away, their faces flaming in embarrassment. "Why is everyone staring at me?"

The girl peeks around me, clucking when she notices what I'm talking about. "Some people really don't know what decency is," she mutters under her breath before looking at me with a small smile. "Everyone's probably looking at you because you come from Earth."

"I-how do you know that?"

"Because you look the way you do," she replies, gesturing to my appearance with a flippant hand. "Everything about you is fairly normal...well, aside from the eye color and oddly good looks."

A flush rises in my cheeks and I grin awkwardly. "Oh, thanks."

"Yeah, whatever. Anyway, since you're from Earth, and as reference you're the first person from Earth most of us have ever seen, probably the best planet for you to go to would be Terat."

"Oh, I read about that place. It's a lot like Earth or something, right?"

"Yup", the girls nods, popping her "p" with a hum.