Chapter 12

Before I knew it, it was already dark outside, and it was 9 o'clock. I was already waiting for Bruce here and just in time, he arrived in his Bat suit. Now that I think about it, it's kind of strange to know that Gotham's top millionaire is protecting the city with a costume for Halloween.

"You look like you're on the verge of laughing" his low-toned voice snapped me out of my trance.

"I just suddenly remembered a funny costume that appeared on a fashion show" I smiled innocently.

"Alright," he said before asking, "You don't have any guns on you right?"

"I know the rules, no" I displayed the dagger on my hand. A similar one to the one I used to kill my father. "So, who are we attacking?"

"Average criminals" he replied as he revealed the small radio box in his hand. There were voices going through who were speaking to one another about a recent gang fight that has forced citizens to run away from the area.

"Lead the way" I pointed with my hand.

• ° • • ° •

After stopping the fight and knocking out some of the gang members, we tied them up in groups. If I were them, I wouldn't even want to wake up. Those bruised cheeks are proof of just how strong Batman's punch is, and it must be painful. Perhaps they won't even wake up anytime soon.

"How is Lina doing?" he suddenly asked.

"She still hasn't woken up. Bizarro says she will though, so I'll trust him"

"I see"

I tied up the next set of goons. There is a question I really want to ask him, but I don't know if I should. If I ask, would he even give me a response? What if he avoids it? 

Actually, that wouldn't be much of a problem, I would just continuously pester him.

"You're tying it too loose. What are you pondering about?" He decided to take over and tie the knot himself instead.

Alright I've decided.

"Hey, are you mad at them? Lina and Jason?"

"What do you mean?"

"The Outlaws in general"

"Not entirely. Jason started a team and it seems to be helping him. I'm putting my trust in him, and he's aware of the consequences if he ends up doing something I don't approve"

"Like killing criminals" I added, knowing that's exactly what he was referring to. I sighed and rested against the nearest car, "But they're completely breaking the law. They're no different than what I was doing for Joker"

"I had a similar conversation with Jason" he chuckled slightly.

Wait, no. My ears must've failed me because there's no way I just heard him faintly laugh. He always catches me off guard when he smiles or laughs.

"(Y/A/N), I'm a criminal too if that's what you'd call a law breaker. We have to be. If we follow the law, it will only limit us and there won't be any change" He placed his hand on my shoulder. "You shouldn't take the title 'Criminal' to heart. You were a victim. I'm sorry I wasn't there to help you. I failed you, and Jason"

My body stiffened at those last words. I never really thought I'd hear him say that. Not that I thought he wasn't capable of saying them but it never crossed my mind. "But....." I forced myself to hold back from tearing up. In front of him? Hush? Heck no.

I weakly groaned, "I wish things could go back to the way they were. Wasn't I a caring person before? Didn't I always display my affection so easily? Didn't I always hug you?"

"Didn't I always call you by Bruman?" I scoffed a smile since I couldn't really say it out loud. I remember saying I'd never stop calling him that and now look.

It's thanks to Joker that I've become a different person. I can't even express to Jason that I love him.

"We all change as time goes by. What's important is to be someone who can accept, fix, and learn from their mistakes. I'm... sorry. I should've known this was lingering in your mind"

"One thing, it's kind of weird hearing you apologize so much," I took off my mask with a laugh, "But to be honest, I didn't realize it myself. You're the first I tell this to"

He wore a sly smirk and rested against the car in front of me, "Also, you're wrong. The kid that I knew before was nothing like you described"

Should I have felt a bit offended?

"She was very similar to her friend. She hated her parents even though she never said that to me. She was only affectionate when she was the happiest. She loved to read romance novels not just because she liked the plot but because she wanted to give her oblivious friend a hint"

I covered my face with my hand. Did he have to mention that last part? Was I that obvious?

"Yes, report" he suddenly said and turned away. It was probably Oracle who had spoken through his ear piece.

But about before, he's right.....

Now I remember. I've always had the thought of getting rid of my parents. Killing them was my last resort, but I continued to give them chances to redeem themselves. I wasn't a caring kid. I was wrong.

I wasn't a full-on affectionate person. I only hugged Bruce because to me he felt the closest to a father. Alfred felt like my second father. Dick was my older brother. Jason, my first friend, crush. But I was never super affectionate with Barbara, or her father, or anyone at school even though I cared for them.

Can I return to being that kid? That's the question. Though I think I have my answer.

Perhaps I had never quite changed.

"Okay," he said and then turned to me, "Oracle sent directions to criminals Catwoman is taking care of"

I smiled, not knowing why but feeling a sense of relief flow over me, "Let's go then"

The heavy burden I didn't know I had been carrying felt as though it had disappeared in the blink of an eye. After we had finished, I headed back home. I found the lights turned off and knew Jason was out.

There was a note on the table that read:

I'm heading out to see Dick (as much as I don't want to admit it, he offers sound suggestions)

"Pfft" I smiled. Dick must've been the one to invite him.

Suddenly my ringtone started going off. I saw the unknown caller ID and almost ignored the call, but knew Lina's life was on the line.

"What is it?" I answered.

"That meeting with Batman was very heart warming, I nearly puked" his voice irritated me.

"Say what you need to say. My business shouldn't concern you in the first place"

"Heh... you know, I kind of understand why Joker kept his agents a secret. It sounded foolish for someone like him to do such a thing. However, I see now that you guys were never his agents, but really his toys. It's fun to fool around with you"

"You can stop monologuing. Get to the point"

His tone changed, "On Saturday, use the earpiece when you go on patrol. Don't think that you've got the advantage just because you know something will happen on that day. Follow my instructions and your friend won't be in danger. Simple as that. I won't be calling again but I will still be listening and watching you"

So, it is time.

"Okay" I was about to hang up before hearing his voice once again.

"Enjoy the show"

[End of Chapter 12]

--------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1,315

"Enjoy the show," he says. ( ⚆ _ ⚆)

P.S. oh nah, this chapter is super short 😀 my bad LMAOO.

❤ Please Remember to Vote