24

I had a few hours to prepare for the final battle.

No pressure.

I wanted to tell Mama and my brothers what was happening, but I didn't want to worry them. I would handle Esther—I had to. Even though I had been careless recently, I wasn't interested in having a conversation with Death soon.

With the dolls' help, I spent most of the day researching Esther's zodiac magic and how to counter it. She used a type called "Chinese Zodiac Magic" which explained the animals. There were a few sorcerers who had encountered it. Some advised running away, while others gave odd solutions. I wasn't in a position of being picky, so I memorized everything.

Tears clouded my vision, blurring the information on my laptop.

"What's wrong, Binti?" Honey asked beside me on the couch, wearing her favorite pink nightgown and white shoes.

"Nothing." I rubbed the tears from my eyes with my hands. Having been selfish for so long, I didn't want to break Mama's heart. I saw what Baba's death did to her. She went from being a free spirit to a broken one, spending most of her time inside the house doing nothing. She would sit by the window and stare at the sky all day and night. It wasn't a pretty sight. It took months before she'd talk to me and my brothers.

Ebony entered the living room carrying a cup of herbal tea she had promised to make for me. "Here you go." She handed it to me.

"Thank you." I grabbed it with my trembling hands and took a sip. It helped calm my nerves.

My arms had healed after a few hours of sleep. I shouldn't have been nervous as I was at the peak of my powers during the full moon. Still, the idea of underestimating Esther made my stomach turn. Strength meant nothing if you didn't know how to use it—a sorcerer who could counter you with ease was the most dangerous opponent.

"You seem tense," Ebony said.

"That's what I said," Honey added.

"No, you didn't," I replied.

"If you clench your jaw too much, you'll break your teeth," said Ebony.

"I'm not—" I took a deep breath before sighing. "I'm not clenching my jaw."

"If you say so." Ebony grabbed Honey's hands and pulled her from the couch. "We'll be outside with Denzel if you need us."

"Have fun," I said.

Ebony gave me one last look from the exit—reminding me of Mama's overbearing stare—before disappearing from my sight.

I finished the tea and then lay on the couch. Bitterness struck my tongue. Swallowing it, it burned my chest, drenching my heart in sorrow. I couldn't believe I had teleported away from Esther. Part of me understood it was to save my life, but the other part—the egotistical side—had a hard time dealing with the loss. I went to fight Esther and ran away like a coward.

Confidence was such a bastard. A few days ago, I was sure I could beat her without a problem. But after last night, the seeds of doubt had grown within, sprouting their toxic roots around my brain and weakening my thoughts of winning.

Not that I hadn't lost before, many sorcerers beat my ass throughout the years. It was the manner of it. I knew Esther had set a trap, and I couldn't stop it. What was the point of knowing what would happen if you couldn't prevent it? At least when you didn't know, you could use it as an excuse for why you failed. Now all I could do was be a sore loser.

I waggled on the couch like a child, punching the cushion out of anger.

My phone rang, startling me. Picking it up from the floor, I groaned. Preacher Boy video-called me. Argh! He knew how much I hated it. Just text me!