Hyde and Seek

5:40 PM

 I saw it start to rain through the big window outside the cafeteria. I squinted through it, noticing the newfound lack of road. Oh joy. I remembered those woods.

"Evelyn?" I called out. "Come on, this is really, really dangerous!"

 I picked my memory for everything I had figured out about June's habits. I remembered playing this game with her as a kid, but I hadn't been Seeker. I had assumed she had... Maybe not. Reminiscing felt like clawing up an old scab. I just wanted to go home.

The intercom beeped.

"Come on, Melody! I'm getting bor-or-orrred!" Evelyn screeched overhead. "Hurry up!"

 I bolted to the front office—that's where the intercom was, right? When I got there, it was empty.

The office chair was still spinning.

 Evelyn hadn't sounded... normal. I hopped over the desk, wondering if she was hiding underneath. I had no idea what to do if she was... maybe she'd just snap out of it and let me take her home? I wish.

 The door slammed as soon as I got over, and I could see her in the window waving at me, but she was gone as soon as I got there. I rattled the knob.

"Oh come on!"

I banged on the door. "Lyn!"

"Lyn, this isn't funny!"

 I slumped against the door and checked my watch. Five-Forty-Five... Already almost an hour down.

What had gotten into her?

The phone on the desk rang, and, expecting Evelyn again, I picked it up.

"Stuck already?"

 "What do you want, Larry?" I scowled, looking around the room for something to use to escape.

"You're already a third through Sunset and you're taking a nap?" He said. "Every second she's getting further away."

"Look, I can't help that she locked the door!"

"I forget you're a bit dim." He sighed. "Did you even look for a key?"

 "I..." I put the phone down and start rummaging through drawers. I tipped over the wastebin on accident, and heard something rattle. "You're kidding me."

 I pulled out an entire ring of keys that looked like they'd been gotten from the janitor's closet. I put the phone to my ear again.

"—Just in case you get stuck again... Oh, you're listening now?"

"Why are you helping me this time?"

"It's what I do."

"Bull. You didn't help me before." I shuddered, feeling cold all of a sudden.

"I don't help the Hiders, Melody, I help the Seekers. I helped your Seeker."

"I-I didn't have one..." I frowned. "I was different, you said."

"Yeees, but not because of that... you don't remember?"

 I felt something, a very small something, and I didn't like it. I shoved it to the back of my mind. Evelyn was the priority.

"No. I don't like thinking about it."

"If you want to save time and future effort, I'd go get June—"

"Yeah, nah. Where's Lyn now?"

"I wish you'd stop asking—as I don't know. Now get the door unlocked and go already!"