Chapter 1: Just A Dream

I was having the best dream when an annoying beeping interrupted it. I sat up once again and groaned as I slammed my hand down on my alarm clock. I closed my eyes again and laid back down with a huff. I knew it was all just a dream but it seemed so real, like he had actually been there. My father and I had been sitting outside on the back porch looking at the stars in a comfortable silence in the dream, I wish it had been real but that was never gonna be possible. He was dead after all.

I heard footsteps and braced myself for the wrath of my mother when she realized that I would still be in bed. I heard the door creak open and waited in silence for the scolding I was about to receive. I was about to lift my head up in confusion when my mother shouted, "Josephine Louise Wright! Get up, you're gonna be late for school!"

I shot up from the bed startled, the covers flying everywhere, and gave my mom a thumbs up, "I'm up!" I grabbed my clothes that I had picked out last night from the desk chair and ran out of my bedroom to head to the bathroom that was across the hall. I made it out of my bedroom and as I reached for the bathroom door handle I felt something soft hit the back of my head. I chuckled as I rubbed the back of it with my free hand. It didn't hurt because thankfully my mom had only thrown a pillow at me and nothing more. "I'm going, I'm going!" I shouted.

"You're gonna be late! And on your first day of school too!" my mom wailed from my bedroom as I shut the bathroom door.

I looked up into the mirror with my crystal blue eyes and internally scolded myself at my appearance. It looked like I had slept hard last night as my pale skin had sleep lines, and at that moment I realized I shouldn't have taken a shower last night as my wavy brown hair was now poofy and extremely staticky. This was gonna take awhile to fix.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

It took me about ten minutes to clean myself up as I ran out of the bathroom making sure not to trip over the pillow that laid in the middle of the hallway abandoned. I quickly ran into my bedroom and pretended that my wad of clothes were a basketball and that my hamper was a hoop. I pretended to take a shot and when my pajamas made it into the hamper I threw my arms up in victory and shouted, "Score!" I froze as my mother shouted at me for being too loud and that I needed to hurry up or I'd be late. I scurried over to the end of my bed and snatched my backpack from off of the wood floor. I slung it over my shoulder as I exited my bedroom, shutting the door on my way out. I clambered down the stairs trying not to fall down in the process. I walked into the kitchen breathlessly as my mom gave me a look as if to say, "What's your problem?" She didn't look impressed as she raised an eyebrow at me.

"You have three minutes to be out of this house, if I were you I'd just take a couple granola bars and eat them while making your way to class," my mother suggested. I quickly took her suggestion as I made my way to the cabinet. I reached right above her head, opened the cabinet door, and grabbed a handful of chocolate chip granola bars. I shut the cabinet as my mother glared at me, I was taller than her by a few inches. She stood at the height of five foot four and I, thankfully was five foot seven. My mother hated being so short and I loved to tease her with it, especially on days like these. She eyed my handful of granola bars and opened her mouth to most likely scold me, but before she could get the chance I gave her a kiss on the cheek and made my way to the front door.

"Love you mom, see you tonight," I shouted and opened the door. I heard her grumble something and I let a small smile creep up my face. I shut the door behind me as I stepped across the threshold. I walked down the stairs to see my beautiful baby sitting there waiting patiently for me. I ran my hand over the silver coat of paint and sighed, "Ready for another year?" I paused and came up with a pretend scenario inside my head, "Neither am I, but we'll make it a good one."