15. Remembering The Fallen - Loldirr

There was a disgruntled noise from the Chevalier de Preságe and comments of displeasure as Sigurd Halfhand unbuckled his breeches by the side of the angry river, deep in the Emerald forest.

The Halfhand didn't care as Sir Gervais echoed Jeffry's protests. As the nearby rapids drowned out their complaints, he proceeded to relieve himself into the once clear and fresh water.

Sigurd laughed while watching the Chevalier de Preságe's wild gestures, but continued to urinate in the wild river. The deafening crashing sound of water meant that their communications were futile.

Despite the anger toward Sigurd, Loldirr remained unaffected by their gestures and Sigurd's immaturity. Her focus remained steadfast on the opposite side of the river. Her eyes appeared to remain fixed on one position, a set of bushes that appeared to meld into the forest that towered behind it.

She did not move, as if all time had stood still by the bushes that appeared unaffected by human interaction for quite some time.

It wasn't until Sir Gervais gently touched her on the shoulder that she was aware of her surroundings once again; and the tears that had damped her broken cheek.

"Is everything ok?" he asked, his concern even visible on his normally lifeless face.

Loldirr turned away, quickly wiping away the tears that had plagued her face. Quickly turning back, she forced a smile, "Yes, we need to find the raft to cross the river" she reacted.

Before Sir Gervais could respond, Loldirr had started to walk up the river, away from the crashing rapids and toward a more serene part of the river.

As Sigurd Halfhand restored his breeches, with Jeffry Thibodeaux following him in protest, they followed Loldirr north, eager to find a way across the river.

Reaching a rope that was securely fastened to trees on both sides of the river, Loldirr seemed to briefly stop breathing as she watched a raft bobble carefully up and down on the far side.

"Everything ok?" Sir Gervais asked once more.

Loldirr nodded, refusing to initially speak as her eyes remained directly on the raft.

As Sir Gervais carefully placed his hand on the shoulder of the bewildered huntress. Loldirr appeared to jump as the touch of the Death Wraith broke her trance.

"It's nothing," Loldirr commented, her eyes instantly glancing at everywhere but the spymaster, "Let us find a way across."

"Loldirr," Sir Gervais took a stance directly in her line of sight, his lifeless eyes instantly grabbing her attention. "I feel your sorrow, just as you feel mine. This place brings a pain in you that feels familiar, and unnerving."

Loldirr nodded, before taking a deep breath. "I thank you for your concern, what I feel, is of no consequence, we need to find a way across the river."

Before Gervais could interact with her again, Loldirr had already disengaged from the conversation and was standing beside the riverbank.

"The water appears somewhat high," Sir Jeffry Thibodeaux commented as he took his place beside Loldirr.

Loldirr took a glance at his armour before gazing across the wild flowing water. "The river, it's much higher than usual, there's no way we can safely walk across it."

"Then we need to walk around," Jeffry responded.

"That would take days off our journey," Gervais reacted, a hiss expelled as the thought of the lost time occurred to him.

"Why not just hold the rope, and traverse across," Sigurd Halfhand commented, eager to involve himself in the decision-making.

Loldirr glanced at Jeffry's armour once again, "It's far too risky, we'll have to travel around. It's unlikely that the raft will be pushed back to this side of the river."