Chapter Eight

"So, Batman has pulled me into a dark alleyway, because..?" "I saw what happened to your apartment." "Yeah. What happened to the other people living in the complex?" "They got lucky. You had a corner apartment, and the one next to yours was empty. The family living beneath you wasn't home at the time."

"That's good, and lucky." "I saw you jump out of the window with Red Hood. You're living with him now," his tone was confident, he knew that what he was saying was true. "Alright? Are you taking this somewhere?" "I know who the Red Hood is." Oh. Oh no. You had connected the dots a long time ago on who Batman was.

That was the flaw of having a whole family of superheroes. You find out one of them, you find out the rest pretty quickly. Though, this also meant that Bruce now knows that his once dead son is alive. That can't be a good thing.

"He doesn't want me near him. I need you to do something for me," your jaw clenches slightly, your teeth digging into your tongue the slightest bit. "And that would be..?" "I want you to keep an eye on him. Report to me what he's planning." "Um, and in the situation that I decline?"

"I'm taking you to jail. There is more than enough evidence to set up a trial. If you manage to get sent to Arkham, I don't imagine that the rogues there will be too happy to see you." "...Fine. I'll help you, but I can guarantee you that if he were to find out about this, he would not be happy with either of us."

"Jason won't find out." Your phone vibrated in your pocket, making you pull it out and check it. "Well, speak of the Devil-" you started as you looked back up at Batman. Only for him to have disappeared. "How the hell," you mutter under your breath before shaking your head and continuing your walk to the store, now adding what Jason just texted you to pick up to your list.

With your arms full of groceries, and a new debit card that took way too long for you to get, you were heading back to your little home. Well, it was more Jason's home, you were a glorified roommate. Oh well. You were mildly surprised to see Jason still home and sitting on the sofa.

"Thought you'd be out by now." "Not quite yet. You pick up what I needed." "New medical supplies? Yup, right here," you tossed the bag onto his lap and made your way to the kitchen. You could hear him rummaging through the plastic bag and taking out the items. You then heard his footsteps coming your way.

"Just so you know," you turn to face him as he starts. "The first aid kit is in here," he kneels in front of the cabinet beneath the sink, opening it and taking out the first aid kit. "Not gonna be hard to remember, same place I used to put mine." "Then you'll have that down in no time."

You bit your lip for a moment, should you tell him? "So, you'll never guess who I ran into," guess you should. "I don't think I will guess. You have so many enemies now and no friends." "Ouch, first of all. Second of all, it wasn't any of the rogues," you threw away the bags and walked back to the living room, Jason not far behind you.

"Oh yeah? Who was it then," Jason asks, flopping onto the couch. "Batman." "Shit." "Yeah, guy pulled me into a dark alleyway, though I was about to die." "Why'd he do that?" "He saw my apartment blow up. He also saw us jump out of a window before that." "And he said..?" "He knows we're living together, and he also knows who you are," Jason became slightly rigid, his eye beginning to twitch the smallest bit. "He asked me to tell him anything I find out about you."

"Find out about me!? Who does he think you are!?" "Calm down, I'm not going to tell him anything," that may not be a choice you get to make, but Jason looked like he was about to bite you if you moved a muscle. "How long have you been talking to him?"

"I never want to talk to him. He would arrive at my apartment unannounced and then ask me questions. Then, when he got his answers, he'd leave." "...Sounds about right, actually," Jason ran a hand through his hair, letting out an exasperated sigh. "Okay, here's what's gonna happen. You will talk to Batman, cause it looks like you aren't being given an option, but you won't tell him anything.

You'll report back to me what his plans are. Deal?" Oh good, more bullshit added to your already extensive list of shit that's stressing you out. "Deal," you replied, walking off to your room. What could possibly go wrong, right? Oh yeah, you get to play middle man between the guy you killed and his father when you're about to be the sidekick of said guy you killed.

And neither of them know about your little 'accident' all that time ago. What could go wrong here, your brain sarcastically repeats over and over again. There was a knock at your door, followed by Jason peeking his head through. "Hey, I have to go out." "Okay?" "Were any of your enemies to come over to this safehouse, I want you to call me. Like, right then and there."

"I don't have your number?" "..Right, here let me-" You exchanged numbers and then he was off. You sigh, now left alone for a moment. A moment to breathe, and think about how you're gonna get yourself out of this mess. Well, there was no getting yourself out of it. You just had to form a plan that wouldn't make the both hate you.

"Hmm," you let your gaze drift around the room in thought. How did you never notice those bookshelves before? You go up to it, running your fingers across the spines of the books as you skim the titles. Strangers on a Train caught your attention. You'd read the story a long time ago, having picked it up from the public library while trying to escape the rain one night.

You picked it up and started to read through it. You couldn't not tell Batman anything, he would send you to jail. You had to report back to Jason. Was there a way you could create a balance? You've proved to be great at telling half truths as of recently, why stop now?