1

I knew it was stupid how I got into my car and drove to McDonald's Philcoa just because I had heard from a friend that it had closed its doors for good. It was silly how I wanted to see it one last time before its glass windows and its graying walls would be torn down.

"You're too old for sappiness, what are you doing?" I quietly asked myself as I maneuvered my car inside a nearby fast food's parking lot. "You are even taking up parking space," I added before I got off.

As an apology, I decided to buy a burger meal from said fast food before I walked towards McDo in my yellow Beach Walk slippers, white cotton shorts, and faded blue Aeropostale shirt.

The air was warm and smelled heavily of the fumes from the buses plying along Commonwealth Avenue and there was nothing romantic or sentimental about it but every step I took brought me back closer to the past until it was 2013 again and I was nineteen...

"Pwedeng makiupo?"

I looked up and saw you smiling. A bead of sweat was running down the side of your face and a dark green Jansport backpack was slung over your left shoulder.

I was seated at my favorite spot which was near the glass doors beside the large glass window where promotional posters were usually posted; I considered it the best table because one, it was close to the door and I was taught that the safest place is near the exit; two, I could pretend to gaze out the glass window to avoid talking to other people, and three, it could only sit two.

"Wala na kasing maupuan..."

I stared at you not because I found you weird but because I was thinking of a way to carry my two-piece chicken, spaghetti, ice cream sundae, and large Sprite with me so I could give you my seat.

"Walang..." I motioned to the seat that was supposed to be there but was currently missing. "May kumuha kanina," I lamely added.

You smiled before you placed your tray on top of the table. "Okay lang, maghahanap akong upuan," you said before you disappeared.

You were back barely a minute later with a chair in tow and I really wished that I had ordered something easier to carry like a burger so I didn't have to share an awkward moment with a stranger.

You sat down, proceeded to unwrap all three packs of rice on your tray, dumped them into your plastic plate then stood up.

I followed you with my gaze as you marched to the counter where a thermos containing free gravy was securely chained, picked it up, then poured a generous amount on your plate.

I averted my face and pretended to eat as you headed back to the table.

"Gusto ko ang puwesto na 'to kasi malapit sa gravy," you unnecessarily explained. "Ikaw, 'yun din ang rason kung bakit dito ka umupo, ano?" you asked with a grin.

I shook my head.

"Uy, Leon nga pala." You offered me your hand. "Napoleon Bonaparte talaga ang buo kong pangalan pero masyadong mahaba."

"Bagay, pareho kayong hindi matangkad—" I closed my mouth immediately realizing that I had just insulted someone who was harmlessly trying to start a conversation like a normal person.

You laughed. "Grabe ka, five-eight and a half naman ako."

"I'm 5'7"..." I muttered as if that would explain my blunder.

"Ahh...I see, so by your standards, maliit ang lalaking 5'8" kasi 5'7" ka? Okay, gets," you good-naturedly said.

I rose to my feet.

"O, saan ka pupunta?"

"I'm done eating," I quietly murmured.

"Hindi mo pa naubos 'yung chicken mo, o. 'Tsaka 'yung sundae mo wala pang bawas," you commented.