YOURS TRULY, DANIELLA

Hello Stranger,

You're forgiven for reading my letter.

After I left the letter in what I thought was Mona's locker, I regretted it. The story is too long and dumb to explain, but I was sort of taking the easy way out. I've been struggling my whole life, climbing up a steep hill for sixteen years, and that letter was a weak moment where I just wanted to rest. Didn't want to fight anymore. Don't get me wrong. I'm proud to be a fighter, but even heroes get tired, you know? Not that I'm any close to being a hero. I'm dramatic. Not delusional.

I'm not equipped for other people. For interacting with them. For working with them. For conversing with them. The moment someone opens their mouth at me, I'm already holding up my shield like they're gonna spit acid... and when someone doesn't try to cut me down, I don't really know what to do. My mind goes totally blank, and I don't know how to respond. It's been a really long time since I made friends.

I've been able to get by with filling my heart with fictional characters. For a long time I have escaped reality successfully by reading every book I can get my hands on. My friends are vampires, hockey players, ballerinas, and princesses with the aim to overthrow the government. These were my kind of people.

I thought I didn't want real friends.

I mean, who needs friends in high school? I am going to walk out of this place and never look back. I'm planning to ignore any invitation to whatever stupid reunion Penelope Davis concocts. The plan was to make friends in colleges but then, I met Mona and this other guy, and I think maybe friends aren't so bad. And now that I had a taste of what friends were like, I'm craving it all time. I'm suddenly anxious to get another hit of the serotonin that only a friend could give me. My first try at friendship and I'm suddenly an addict.

Not that I never spoke to anyone before meeting Mona. Just to be clear. I've got friends I met through Twitter and well, my mom's my best friend, but this hit different. Mona hits different.

Just realized I admitted my mother is my best friend. I almost crossed it out, but if I can't be myself with an anonymous stranger through old timey letters, who can I be myself around?

I'm deflecting and making jokes because I'm uncomfortable facing the reality that I'm lonely. These sweet new almost friendships come with the aftertaste of loneliness. I wasn't lonely before when I had nobody.

Now I'm curious.

Now I'm interested in other people.

I don't know what grade you're in, but I'm a sophomore and I spent all of my math class listening to these two people (Amber and Cory, whose names I didn't know before this obsession with humanity) talk about the upcoming dance. From what I hear, it seems Cory wants to ask Amber to the dance, but it's that dumb Ladies' Choice theme, so he's just dropping hints at her feet left and right so she'll ask him. He literally said at one point "if someone asked me to the dance right now, I would say yes."

Then, Amber laughed and JUST DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING BACK. I've never wished for spontaneous combustion before, but I would've loved to drop dead I was so embarrassed. Anyways, I can't begin to describe how invested I am in this storyline.

If I become a people person I might actually move out of town and change my name.

Yours truly, Daniella

P.S. if you need movie recommendations, look no further. I am a hermit with an attitude problem, but my Letterbox account is immaculate. What experience are looking for? Why did you like Emma? I need details!!!

P.S.S. Please enjoy this doodle of my cat, Colonel Mustard.

P.S.S.S. You super duper don't have to reply.