Chapter Twenty-Six: We Fight Right Here

A/N: Hello, everyone! Thanks for tuning into another chapter—probably one of the few we have left for this story.

This story, I will admit, has similarities with both TMMM and Virtue and Vice because at that time, I couldn't decide how the story would go exactly so I started a couple different variations. As I've mentioned before, the thing that I think sets this apart from the other two is how our lovers, and mainly Max, handle similar obstacles from other stories quite differently. She's probably my most level-headed character, with that kind of quiet strength and steadfastness which is the perfect foil for Luke's more impulsive tendencies. I hope she shows that in the remaining chapters.

Enjoy!

***

It's typically in a great dramatic scene that someone declares their invincibility but since I've been such a rebel lately (hah!), I thought I'd continue in the same style.

It was no great, dramatic, momentous event.

To me, the moment when we finally believe we'll be untouched by the world and all the forces that churn within and around it are built from an infinite number of little moments when everything feels right—when fate feels like it's on our side once and for all.

It was little moments like waking up in a bedroom filled with wisps of early morning light, warm under a heap of silk sheets and glorious man—literally glorious. Moments like watching for the second those bright blue eyes open and smile at you before his mouth did; like a strong arm curling around your waist to pull you closer so he could bury his face on your neck and whisper good-mornings and I-love-yous and kisses against your skin.

If my life were to be filled with many moments like these every day, the world would have nothing on me.

Luke and I just moved, knowing what we wanted without having to say it.

I draped a leg around his hip, reaching up an arm over his shoulder until my fingers were curled around the nape of his neck. We never looked away from each other as Luke shifted, filling me in one swift stroke and stealing a gasp from my lips. 

It was fast and sweet and breathtaking—yes, we were truly invincible.

Hands entwined, we headed for the shower where Luke washed my hair with such curious fascination. Only half-dressed with Luke in his boxers and me in my underwear and sweater from last night, we headed to the kitchen for some breakfast.

I had just put a forkful of omelette in my mouth when Luke blurted out, "So, when do you want to get married?"

He handed me the glass of orange juice after I had a good minute to recover from choking, a wry smile on his face. "You okay?"

I nodded, gulping down a good amount of juice. 

Luke sighed and rubbed my back in soothing circles. "You know, when I proposed, getting married was part of the deal."

I rolled my eyes. "I know that. I just didn't expect it to be the first topic of the day at seven in the morning."

"I believe the first topic of the day had been me getting inside you," he said gamely.

I glared at him as my cheeks glowed hot. "If it were, we certainly didn't discuss it."

His grin only broadened unapologetically. "I'd like to think I'm more of a man of action than words."

The Risk of Fallingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें