Chapter Three: Forbidden Fruit (part 1)

July, 1814

Colin frowned as he entered the grand dining room, noting that there were entirely too many people and entirely too few platters.

He'd slept a bit later than he'd meant to, but had he truly missed breakfast? Usually, after a late night, his mother didn't serve breakfast before ten at the latest. He approached his mother, who was directing the footmen this way and that.

"Mother, are there no eggs this morning? Or sausages?"

"Oh, Colin! Have you finally graced us with your presence?" She looked a bit put out. "After you neglected to attend the ball—"

"Mother, I told you, my visit kept me later than expected."

"You mean your visit to Miss Thompson? The one from the night before? That doesn't explain last night."

"Lady Crane," he sighed. "And last night, I found myself unequal to—"

"To join the party I plan but once a year? Of course, surely that is too much to ask of my children."

"Please don't make me feel worse. I already feel like an absolute idiot. I... I simply wanted to assure myself she was happy, that I hadn't been an absolute villain in the whole business and..."

"Colin..." She sighed and pulled him to a corner. "I know you feel as if you were in the wrong, but you, my darling, were the wronged party. If you wanted to be assured of her happiness, then you could have written—"

"I just didn't think a letter was enough." He'd never written an apology letter. He'd never done anything to warrant one. Guilt was an entirely new sensation and, whether his mother thought he should feel it or not, it was there and he didn't like it. "But I am glad to say that she — and the children — are well, as is Sir Phillip."

"Children?"

"Twins," he said.

She nodded. "I don't know the family intimately, but I hear twins are common among the Cranes. And it is best that they are with their relations. From what I understand, he is their uncle."

"Yes... Yes, I suppose so. He is a very... kind man."

"And do you think yourself unkind in comparison? I wish you didn't." She glanced around, looking conflicted. "Colin, there are a great many guests here now. But why don't we ride back to London together. We can discuss this at length and—"

"No, Mother. There is no need. I am at peace with it. I promise."

She touched his cheek. "If you are not, I am willing to entertain all of your silly notions of guilt, if only to correct you on them. Now, have you seen to your trunks?"

"No, I'd hoped to eat first, some eggs or—"

"Oh, I am sorry. But the hot dishes have come and gone."

"So soon?"

"We are feeding and sending off half the people we know this morning, Colin. There's no time for a leisurely meal. But they're putting out the pastries and fruit now, so I'm afraid you must content yourself with that until..." She gasped, staring out the window, before sailing off. "Mrs. Wilson? Can we find someone to tend to Lady Bastanchury's dog if she will not? I see it's wandered into my roses again and I will not have them..."

Colin took himself to the table nearest the door, spotting Eloise gesturing Penelope to the chair next to her. He supposed Penelope had missed breakfast as well. He'd only spoken to her on the stairs moments ago. He couldn't help feeling he might have been a bit abrupt with her as, when he approached, her eyes darted away. He'd been a bit hungry — he still was — so he supposed he hadn't been at his best.