26 | favorite couple

Jo

"WHY THE HELL am I freaking out?" I ask myself in the mirror as I stare at my outfit and wait for Flynn to arrive. Yesterday, Flynn told me everyone is going to be there and he said everything will be fine as long as I play along. So why the hell am I freaking out?

I resume my pacing again when the mirror provides no answer and repeatedly tap my palm with my purse. My hands are jittery and anxiety slowly coils around my neck like a snake.

I plop down on my bed and try to relax. Deep breaths Jo. It's not like you've never been to a party before even though this is the first time you're going to be the center of attention. But that's not so bad, is it?

I breathe in and out using a common counting exercise. "1...2...3...Oh my god!" My breathing exercise is ruined when I hear the familiar chime of the door bell and I jump before placing a hand on my chest and exiting my room.

I bound down the stairs and sling my purse over my shoulder. Grandma is sitting idly at the dining table, going through the family album so she doesn't turn her head even though my feet are stomping the stairs.

"Bye Grandma," I greet and she barely grunts in reply. I get to the door and swallow. It's just Flynn. With that thought in mind, I swing the door wide open and I'm met with Flynn's wry smile.

"Aloha," he greets but his smile slips when he glances at my outfit. Unlike me, he's wearing a partially buttoned nautical themed patterned shirt and a pair of shorts to match. He looks like he's about to go on a boat cruise especially with that tousled hair and sailor's pendant hanging around his necklace.

"Well?" I ask and look down at my outfit. "What do you think?"

"The party's at the beach, Pryce." He deadpans.

"I know that," I snap.

He folds his arms. "Then why do you look like we're about to fly to the North Pole?"

"It's a little cold outside," I grumble to myself as the tips of my ears redden.

He sighs and tries to look behind me. "Is anyone home?"

"Just my grandma," I say. "But she'll barely notice anyone or anything with that book in her hand."

"Good," he comes closer and grabs my elbow before dragging me back inside. He shuts the door behind us and tugs me forward.

"Hi ma'am," Flynn politely acknowledges grandma regardless of if she'll respond or not and then he looks round and turns back to me.

"Lovely home," he comments. His hand is still holding my elbow. "Where's your room?"

"What?" I splutter. "I didn't even invite you in and you're asking for my room?"

"Upstairs," Grandma grunts without turning to us. "First room to the right."

Embarrassment floods my cheeks. What the hell? I thought she wasn't usually aware of her surroundings whenever she was trying to remember her husband in that album.

"Grandma," I hiss but it's too late. Flynn grins and thanks her and then he drags me up the stairs.

"Such a sweet soul," he tells me as soon as we reach the door to my room. He opens the door and pulls me in before shutting it and taking his hand off my elbow. I glance at him, warmth flowing through my body at the sudden realization that he's standing inside my small room with me, looking entire too big to fit in this space.