Chapter 15: On The Other Side

Mamaaa, just killed a man, put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger, now he's dead.

There is an irritating buzzing fly walking over the thick tinted glass of a window as the slow seventies music plays in the background.

Lilah's long nails over the door trim sound like those old clocks into village houses which children see in their grandparents houses.

Car is parked into a silent street, empty of people which just adds into this void as I can even hear the air ventilation working.

Yet nothing is as loud as my head.

"Landon?" I turn my head at Lilah calling my name.

She leans back. "He was wrong, you know that?"

On the surface her words just go over my head as my eyes flicker down on the center console, pushing down the already low handbrake as the while consulate lifts slightly. I grab the lower part, pulling it upwards as it fully opens the hidden space where I keep my weapons.

"Go back to listening." I tell her as I pull out a handgun, choosing the right ammo through the darkness.

"Jeremiah is not an easy target, you have to be fully focused for this task, Landon, not think about him and what he said."

I wish she would stop talking.

"This not easy target will be even harder to catch if you dont step up and do your job, but instead try to play a personal therapist."

I don't waste my time by looking at her when I load the first gun and I only expect her to listen.

"He is guided by emotion. " she continues and I have to remind myself that the mission could fail if I pull the trigger now. "He is good at masking his emotion on the surface, I'll give him that. Great even, almost impossible to read, but his actions are not. That's where he slips up, all he does is guided by emotion."

My finger is sliding across the metal of the knife after I disgarder both of my guns away. Slick surface is clear over the street lighting and mostly cloud covered moonlight. "That is meant to mean something to me?"

"Yes." she says as I glance at her almost enthusiastic tone. "You are meant to look at how he acts and not what he says."

"How he acts?" I flick my tongue. "You mean by disobeying quite literally every little thing I say and trying to kill me any chance he gets."

She sighs dramatically. "Oh please, he attacked you like twice and both times of those you threatened the life of his daughter. If I were him I would have done much worse."

His daughter.

The spoiled brat which I have to bear to look at and keep her close just so I could keep him in the line.

The daughter which he already had when he met me.

The daughter he had even when in those long nights I made a mistake of opening my ribs and giving him the bloody heart when we talked about our future. Our children.

The daughter that should've been mine and his.

But it isn't.

It isn't because it was all a lie.

He was a lie.

My hands grab the eavesdropping device and throw it back at her lap, clearing my throat as I repeat. "Go back to listening, Lilah."

She does this time. I load the other gun, looking the stance of it for a while, then hiding it back into my belt from behind as I keep choosing the small blades.