<8>

RYUJIN

I waited at our usual table in the cafeteria after the bell rang, anticipating the arrival of the others. Yuna and Chaeryeong, who always came together, were the first to show up. I think they are the closest friends in our group since they are the youngest.

"Hey," I greeted them with a wave and a smile, and they reciprocated.

"Lia-unnie and Yeji-unnie aren't here yet?" Yuna asked, scanning the cafeteria to see if they had gone to grab some food.

"No, they should be here soon. Unless Yeonjun got a hold of Yeji again," I muttered the last part to myself, but unfortunately, the redhead overheard it.

"You don't need to worry now, I think. They seem to be getting back on good terms. Although, we should wait and see what happens for now, right?" Yuna's question made me hesitate, but I nodded nonetheless.

I don't want to see what happens. I know I don't stand a chance, and I shouldn't be hoping anymore. But something inside me wants to hold onto these feelings.

It doesn't hurt to have a crush on someone. What hurts the most is knowing that you don't stand a chance with them.

 It's when they unintentionally give you false hope that leaves you hanging. 

However, when they express interest in someone else, that's when the pain is unbearable. You know you shouldn't hold on to hope because you'll only end up hurting yourself. It's your own fault for clinging onto something that's not even real.

I don't know why I'm pondering over this, many things can still happen, but I'd like to support my friend and her relationship instead of being selfish.

I should, right?

As I sat at our usual table in the cafeteria, a familiar voice called out my name. It was Yeji, and her soft and gentle tone immediately brought a smile to my face.

"Hey, you're here," I replied as she approached me, waving her hand. She took my hand and led me to our seats, where the others had already left for the canteen.

I had some questions for her, so I took the opportunity to ask, "So, you're going to Yeonjun's practice after school tomorrow?"

Yeji searched her bag for something before replying, "Yep, but I'll leave after your tryouts finish since we have our special hangout. Is that good?"

I nodded in agreement, pleased that we still had our hangout time. "I didn't make lunch today, so we should go to the canteen as well," I suggested.

Before we could leave, our friends stopped us and handed us bentos. I was surprised since I had always made my own lunch ever since my parents went out of town for work. They had been gone for a year, and although they sent me money to take care of myself, it was hard at first. 

Eventually, I got used to living by myself and paying for my own stuff, but I still missed them terribly. They would buy me gifts and ship them over on my birthday, but I would rather have them with me instead.

After we settled down and started eating, Lia asked if anyone was planning to join a club for the upcoming club recruitment.

"I'm definitely joining the soccer club," I said, grinning as I chewed on some chicken and rice.

"Maybe I'll join the literature club," Yeji mused.

"I'm signing up for the dance club with Yuna," Chaeryeong chimed in.

Lia, meanwhile, had her sights set on something bigger: "I'm going to run for student council when the time comes, so no clubs for me."