CHAPTER 40

Evelyn's POV

I didn't meet Anna at home. I feel it is time to tell her about Aidan since he has plans on coming to see her. I want her to know about what I did before he comes. 

The excitement I was feeling from work is suddenly replaced with worry. I don't know what Anna will think of everything, I don't know if she will understand my reasons and I don't know if she will be pleased.

I guess I will have to keep the divorce after 6 years of marriage which Aidan told me about to myself for now. I know if I tell Anna, she will not listen to any more things I have to say. I don't even know if she is going to agree to the marriage yet.

I begin to pace the room, thinking of how to present it to her and what she will think and say of it. I haven't figured it out when the door opens and she comes in. She looks pretty in her maroon dress and I wonder what type of party she went to.

"Evening, mom", she greets and slumps to the sofa, placing her purse on the table.

"How are you doing?" I ask with a cheerful smile.

"Fine", she replies, without looking at me.

"Did I ruin your night?" I guess she is cold towards me for not letting her enjoy the night. I called her to come home on purpose because I want to talk to her and I don't want her to be seen around at parties when she is soon going to be the billionaire's wife. 

What will Aidan think of her if he meets her at a party?

"No. You said you want to tell me something", she finally looks me in the face.

"Yeah, it's about your baby", I begin, watching her face for a readable expression. I didn't want her to think I want her to go ahead with the abortion again so I add. "I talked to the baby's father....."

"And you went down on your knees to beg him to come and marry me?" She cut me short.

"What?!" I exclaim loudly.

"Yes, isn't that what you did, mother?" She frowns, looking at me with a disappointed look.

"What makes you think I begged him to do that? You know your mother and I will never stoop so low to do that."

"Well...that is what it looks like you are doing."

I am quiet, thinking of why she is acting this way. Is she aware that I have been going to meet Aidan all along?

"Anna, I want the best for you and your child." I touch her hand.

"The best? By selling me out to that arrogant idiot?" She yells with a grimace.

"What? I am not selling you out, Anna. What makes you think I will do that?"