00.3 See No Evil When Evil Sees You

Ann sneezed. She sniffled, her nose itchy and uncomfortable under the mask.

"I am very sorry," the man in the cassock said again.

Ann waved him off. "'s fine," she said, the words punctuated by another sneeze.

The man looked at her mournfully. They were in the ruined church, sheltered from the whistling wind in the one remaining corner. Ann eyed the patched roof over their heads with some suspicion. The loose shingles danced from time to time, their rattling like bones.

"No harm done," Ann said quickly, staving off another apology.

"I did not realize you are a player," the man offered sheepishly.

"First time playing?" Ann asked.

The man nodded with a sigh. He was an older gentleman, the hair at his temples grey and his face lined by age.

"My son spends a lot of time on games. I thought I should see what it's all about," he said and offered Ann his hand. "Max."

Ann had the business handshake down-pat. "Ann. What was in that vial, anyway?"

"Holy water. I'm, that is to say, my character is a priest. The task the game system assigned to me involves exorcizing ghosts – it sounds so very strange out-loud," Max said.

"What're the ghosts in the instance like?" Ann asked.

Max looked at her strangely. "Dead?" he guessed.

Ann laughed. "No, I mean – think of ghosts in movies. There're different types, right? Since you have actual ghost ammo, I'm guessing the spirits in this instance are not friendly. Did your game guide give you a clue?"

Max shook his head. "I need five of them, and they must be newly-formed – whatever that means. That's all I know."

A crow croaked in the distance. Ann raised her head, and happened to see the ghost of the little girl peeking around the statue of the broken angel. The little girl smiled at her and ducked behind one of the angel's wings.

"I was so sure there would be something here," the man said. He was also looking out into the graveyard, but didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary.

"Have you seen a ghost yet?" Ann asked.

"Haven't seen a soul around at all, other than the innkeeper and the other players."

A small ball bounced over the cracked earth. It rolled to a stop by Ann's feet, accompanied by childish giggling. Ann looked down. She held her breath.

The ball was not a toy, but a lidless eyeball.

"-the inn?" the man was saying.

Ann swallowed. "Sorry, what?" she asked faintly.

"We should go back to the inn. It is much too cold to be out," the man said.

"I dropped something earlier. It should be around here somewhere," Ann told him.

"What is it? I can help you look," the man offered.

Ann shook her head. "It's fine, it won't take too long. I will catch up soon."

"If you are sure," Max said, sounding unconvinced.

Ann watched until Max disappeared in the dark. She kept part of her attention on the little girl and her strange toy. The moment she decided to approach, the little ghost was at her side. Ann swallowed back a startled shout.

"I like your mask!" the little girl exclaimed.

Ann slowly bent to one knee. "Thank you," she said. "I like your... eye."