Chapter Three: "Code Blue"

Veronica's eyelids flutter open weakly as she attempts to clear her head. She begins to question if anything that happened last night was even real, and it's only when she sits up in bed that she gets her answer. "Fuck, it wasn't just some random nightmare..." She murmurs quietly to herself as she runs her fingers through her tangled hair.

"Veronica, you're awake!" Maya jumps right onto her bed and gives Veronica a tight hug. Veronica smiles softly at her sister, petting her hair affectionately, though that smile soon turns into a worried frown when she sees Maya's happy expression fade into a sad one. "What's wrong?" Veronica asks carefully.

"Veronica, do you think Green will be bad too?" Maya asks timidly. "I mean, if Blue ended up being bad, then maybe Green will also end up being bad!" She continues rambling, looking extremely nervous. Veronica sighs lightly, not really wanting to deal with her little sister's anxieties right now, but she decides to at least try and cheer her up.

"Green's the nicest Rainbow Friend, isn't he? I doubt he'd ever hurt anyone, so don't you worry." Veronica manages a small smile for her sister. "Besides, we have each other's backs, remember? If anything happens, I'll always be here for you." She gives Maya a quick kiss on the forehead, making the younger girl giggle lightly.

Amira and Opal approach the sisters, chatting happily among themselves. Veronica raises an eyebrow at the duo curiously. "Hey, Amira. Looks like you've met Opal." She notes amusedly. Amira laughs softly as she places a gentle hand on Opal's shoulder. "Yeah! She's a pretty nice gal, y'know?" She grins warmly.

Veronica smiles softly and nods in agreement. "Anyway, what's going on? Weren't we supposed to be let out of this place by now?" She questions impatiently. Opal purses her lips in thought, but ultimately shakes her head. "We don't know. I'm guessing we still have a lot left to do before we can leave." She responds.

While the adults talk about boring things, Maya looks over to where Jason is now awake and chatting away with another boy. She feels a twinge of jealousy shoot through her chest at the sight, but she quickly brushes it off. There's no use in feeling jealous now, especially when they currently have a bigger problem on their hands.

That's when the intercom screeches to life. "I see that everyone is awake now." The voice comments dryly. "Did you all have a good rest? How swell."

Veronica shoots the speaker a nasty glare. "Like hell we did."

A loud party horn noise is suddenly heard in the distance. "Oh? Sounds like Green is awake. I think he knows you're in there." The voice chuckles before continuing. "No need to worry about him though; he's blind. How can he catch you if he can't see you?" It taunts playfully. "Good luck out there, and don't get tangled up."

Maya feels like all her worst fears have come true as she stares wide-eyed at Veronica, who simply averts her gaze guiltily. "Don't worry, Maya. I'm sure that speaker guy's just messing with us." Amira reassures her sweetly. Opal nods in agreement and places her hand on Maya's back. "Let's just get going, okay?" She suggests.

Everyone heads back out of the room to split into their groups once again. It's the exact same as last night; again, another grueling task of finding items and returning them to the theater. This time, instead of collecting building blocks, they will need to collect food packs. Ridiculous, yes, but it's the requested item.

With Green wandering around the facility, the process of finding the items will prove to be much more difficult. Hell, nobody even knows what he could be capable of. With those long arms of his, he could very much just squeeze the life out of them or throw them around like a rag doll for all they know.

The girls enter the Hemlock Woods area just as they did the night before, the sound of running water and the sweet guitar melody filling their ears. Maya runs ahead of the group a good few times, humming quietly to herself as she snatches up some food packs and shoves them into her backpack.