Before Twilight

Akali could see the stars. They shimmered above her, each one a flickering flame over Valoran City.

Pretty, Akali thought, focusing on those distant lights, forgetting for just a moment that she couldn’t breathe. She forgot the feeling of gravel pressing into her back as she lay prone where they’d left her. Forgot the way the other kids had turned on her when she’d tried to stop them from hurting the small, grimy puppy they’d found in the alley. She forgot everything but the stars, until a soft voice broke her focus.

???: Are you okay?

Akali tried to turn toward that voice, curious as to who’d been brave enough to break up a five-on-one fight. Awareness of where, exactly, those punches and kicks had landed, however, kept her on the ground.

???: Did they knock you out?

Akali: Knocked down, actually.

Akali corrected her with a wince. Talking hurt.

Akali: But then I figured I’d just stay down here. It’s cozy, you know?

The girl laughed, making Akali smile...and then grimace. Smiling hurt, too.

The girl stepped forward to stand above Akali. She offered a hand, and smiled.

???: As comfy as that seems, maybe we should get you off the ground? This place is gross.

Akali couldn’t argue with that, grabbing the girl’s arm and pulling herself up.

It was only then that Akali realized she recognized this girl! Tall, pink hair, prim clothes...It was Kai’Sa! Pretty, perfect Kai’Sa. Akali had never spoken to her, but she knew Kai’Sa had been popular ever since she transferred to Valoran City Middle School earlier this year. The teachers wouldn’t shut up about her. Polite, excellent in every subject, quiet. Basically Akali’s opposite, or so she had thought, right up until Kai’Sa had stormed into the alley. Akali heard Kai’Sa tell all five assailants that if she ever caught them picking on anyone, human or otherwise, she’d personally make them regret it. They’d fled without another word. Akali was as impressed as she was in pain.

Akali: I’m gonna have bruises on my bruises.

Kai'Sa: You do this often? The fights, I mean, not the losing.

Akali: Neither.

Akali hedged.

Akali: Well, not usually. Sometimes? But they were picking on a—oh, crap! The dog!

Kai’Sa helped her dig through the nearby bins, and Akali marveled at her willingness to get her hands dirty. Literally. They were elbow-deep in trash and muck until....

Kai'Sa: There you are!

She pulled the trembling pup from beneath a sodden bag. The creature was filthy, more dirt than dog, but it gave a small wag of its tail as Kai’Sa held it.

Akali: I think you made a friend.

Kai'Sa: And here I was thinking I’d made two.

It took Akali a moment to understand.

Akali: Me?! Why would you wanna be friends with me?

Akali wasn’t good at...well, anything, really, unless you counted playing video games. Which Akali did, of course, but Kai’Sa didn’t know that.

Kai'Sa: Well, for starters....

Kai'Sa stood up still holding the dog.

Kai'Sa: I saved your life. Figure that makes us friends. Plus, you got your butt handed to you trying to save a puppy. Means you have good character.