Chapter Eight

Harry looks at the thousands and thousands of candles floating in the air over four long tables, where the rest of the students are sat. The tables laid with golden plates and goblets, another long table at the end of the hall where the teachers are sat. Professor McGonagall leads the first years down the middle of the hall, the first years looking up to see the ceiling looking like night sky outside "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History." Hermione whispers. They all come to a stop, Professor McGonagall silently placing a four-legged stool in front of the first years, an old pointed wizard's hat that is patched and frayed and extremely dirty on top. For a few seconds there's silence til the hat twitches, a rip near the brim opening wide like a mouth "Oh, you may not think I'm pretty, But don't judge on what you see, I'll eat myself if you can find A smarter hat than me. You can keep your bowlers black, Your top hats sleek and tall, For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat And I can cap them all. There's nothing hidden in your head The Sorting Hat can't see, So try me on and I will tell you Where you ought to be. You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve, and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart; You might belong in Hufflepuff, Where they are just and loyal, Those patient Hufflepuffis are true And unafraid of toil; Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind; Or perhaps in Slytherin You'll make your real friends, Those cunning folk use any means To achieve their ends. So put me on! Don't be afraid! And don't get in a flap! You're in safe hands (though I have none) For I'm a Thinking Cap!" it sings.

The hall burst into applause as the hat finished its song, the hat bowing to each of the four tables before becoming quiet and still again. Professor McGonagall steps forward holding a long roll of parchment "When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted. Abbott, Hannah!" she starts. A girl with blonde pigtails stumbles out of line ands puts on the hat as she sits down, the hat falling down over her eyes "HUFFLEPUFF!" the hat shouts after a moment. The table on the right cheers and claps as Hannah goes and sits down with them "Bones, Susan!" McGonagall calls forward. "HUFFLEPUFF!" the hat shouts again, Susan going over and sitting next to Hannah. "Boot, Terry!" McGonagall calls. "RAVENCLAW!" the hat shouts. The table second from the left claps, several of the Ravenclaws standing and shaking hands with Terry as he joins them. Another student joins Ravenclaw before "Brown, Lavender" walks fired and becomes the first new Gryffindor, the table on the far left exploding with cheers. "Bulstrode, Millicent!" goes up next, becoming the first new Slytherin. "Burns, Elizabeth!" McGonagall calls. Eliza looks at her twin before walking up to the stool, the hat dropping over her eyes slightly. They all watch as the hat sits silently on Eliza's hat "GRYFFINDOR!" it shouts, the table bursting into cheers as Eliza goes and sits down.

"Burns, Matthew!" McGonagall continues. The hat goes onto Matty's head and once again sits there for a minute "GRYFFINDOR!" it shouts. Matty sighs in relief before going over and sitting next to his sister, Eliza hugging him happily. "Granger, Hermione!" McGonagall calls, a slight smile on the corner of her lips. Hermione almost runs up to the stool and puts the hat eagerly on her head "GRYFFINDOR!" the hat shouts making both the Burns and the Weasley twins whoop and cheer as she joins the table. Soon McGonagall gets to "Potter, Harry!" with another slight smile. Harry walks forward as whispers break out all over the hall. "Potter, did she say?" someone asks. "The Harry Potter?" another questions. Harry puts on the hat "Hmm. Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent, A my goodness, yes -- and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that's interesting.... So where shall I put you?" the hat whispers into his ear. Harry grips the edges of the stool "Not Slytherin, not Slytherin." he pleads inside his head. "Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know, it's all here in your head, and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that -- no? Well, if you're sure -- better be GRYFFINDOR!" the hat says, shouting the last word out loud.

Harry smiles as McGonagall takes the hat off him "Go on Harry, I'll send an owl to Sirius and Remus once the feast is over." she tells him quietly 9ver the loud cheers from the Gryffindor table. Nodding, Harry walks over the the table and sits with Hermione, Eliza, Matty, Fred and George "We got Potter! We got Potter!" Fred and George chant. The ghost in a ruff pats his arm, Harry feeling like he'd just plunged it into a bucket of ice-cold water. Harry looks at the head table, spotting Dumbledore looking at him "Hare, you alright?" Hermione asks. "Yeah, just seen Dumbledore for the first time. He's the one who wanted to take me to my mum's muggle sister." Harry explains quietly. Hermione nods "The one that Padfoot and Moony said hates the Wizarding World?" she asks. "Yeah." Harry responds. Soon after the two of them finish talking, Ron gets called forward and goes to sit on the stool. "GRYFFINDOR!" the hat shouts. Harry, Hermione, Eliza and Matty cheer with the rest of the table, Ron's brothers joining them with being some of the loudest. Ron walks over and collapses into the spot next to Harry "Well done, Ron, excellent." Percy tells his brother pompously. "Zabini, Blaise!" is the last student, being sorted into Slytherin. Professor McGonagall rolls up her scroll and takes the sorting hat away, Harry looking at the plates hungrily "Feels like it was ages ago that we ate." he complains. "It was a while." Hermione nods in agreement. "I'm starving." Ron tells them. "You're always starving." Hermione and Harry laugh.