Chapter XLIV

Alexander 

April 27th, 1987

Aspen sat in Professor Snape's classroom in between Bill and Marie trying her best not to catch a headache. 

Sixth year was coming to an end and with final exams coming up and having to declare what she wanted to do after graduation was causing pressure in her head. 

Professor Snape finished speaking with an owl hooted as it flew inside the classroom and everyone went quiet. Snape lifted his hand up and took the letter from the owl before it flew away. 

"Who the hell?" Marie whispered and Aspen felt Snape's eyes on her. 

"Miss Malfoy. You are needed in the headmasters office right away. Take all your things." He said and Aspen sighed. 

Knowing it probably had something to do again with her mother. She quickly grabbed her things and squeezed Bill's shoulder before walking out of the class and out of the dungeons and towards Dumbledore's office. 

The staircase was waiting for her open and she walked up towards the door she heard three pair of voices. Her uncle, Dumbledores, and who she believed could have only be Alexander her step father. 

She pushed open the door and all four men went quiet as they saw her. 

"Ah you Aspen. I apologize for pulling you out of class. I know you have exams coming up." Dumbledore said and Aspen nodded. 

"It's alright Headmaster. You saved me from a migraine." Aspen stated and both Dumbledore and Lucius smiled at the young girl. 

"You must be wondering why I am here Aspen. I have to assure it that it does not have to do with your mother." Alexander began and Aspen turned to her Uncle. 

"You are my stepfather and by law, you could fight my uncle for custody of me. But next year is my last year here at Hogwarts and I will be eighteen." 

"I do not want custody, Aspen. I was never good with other children or teenagers." 

"Then why call us all here Alexander. Waste our time when I could be at work, Aspen in class, and Headmaster Dumbledore who has an entire school to run." 

Aspen set her bag down in the chair across from Dumbledore's desk and turned to my stepfather. 

"My mother. Did you bring her back with you to Carrow Manor? Or wherever you are staying?" 

"I did. For a couple of days. She left and I do not know where she is. Aspen I came so you could hear my side of the story. I was never innocent. I played my part and served my time. But when it came to you I was doing my best to protect you." Alexander explained.

"The day they took my mother and you went to Azkaban. Did you know it was Abigail who did everything?" 

"I had my guesses. But someone sent a message to me saying Roxanne and you were in danger and I needed to return to the manor. I didn't love your mother but I cared for her a lot. So I left the meeting with You-Know-Who and rushed to the manor." 

"Your mother was crouched down clutching you to her chest. That's all it took for me to start throwing curses at everyone. Then Mad-Eye moody came and I saw a red light go towards your mother. When I got to Azkaban they told me Roxanne was dead and you went to Lucius." He finished and Aspen looked towards Dumbledore. 

"You said you saw my mother's body. But that was a lie, wasn't it?" 

"I saw the body yes. But the face was so burnt all I could identify was the blonde hair and the age. Aspen I am so sorry." 

Aspen sat in the chair and stared at the three men in front of her. 

"I just want my life to go back to normal. Everyone stares and whispers as I walked past them in the hall. I'm so tired." Aspen cried out and Lucius placed his hand on his nieces's shoulder and gave her a small squeeze. 

"Your mother has always been a bit dramatic. It always caused problems. But know she truly did care for you." Alexander said as he buttoned up his cloak. 

"I came to have Dumbledore as witness. I relinquished my rights to you Aspen. Seeing as your mother, legally, is dead. That means by all right your uncle and aunt can adopt you." He added and Aspen turned to her Uncle. 

"Really?" The two blondes said and Dumbledore smiled. 

"You are already a Malfoy. But now you can be there's." 

"Uncle?" Aspen whispered. 

"You have always been mine Aspen. So yes." 

The two stared at each other before Alexander cleared his throat. 

"Aspen, you have grown into such a young lady. I am so proud of you. No matter what has happened. Know, I have did everything I could to ensure your future. This is the key to your trust fund I had set up for you. Since I relinquished my rights you have full access to it now." He explained as he handed Aspen a key to a vault in Gringotts. 

"You had a trust fund for me? Even though I wasn't yours?" 

"By blood you are not. But I was there for your first words, you crawling and getting into everything. I am proud to be your stepfather. I must be off. Carrow business to attend to and all." Alexander stated before he stepped into the fireplace and green flames swelled him. 

"Well, I shall head back as well. I shall see you soon for break darling." Her Uncle said as he took the key out her hand and kissed her forehead. 

When he left Aspen turn to Dumbledore. 

"I'm so confused Headmaster" 

"I remember the day I brought you to your brothers home. He was so young. Barely twenty-one, fulfilling your grandfathers wishes when he didn't even live his life yet. You are younger than what he was. Going through so much more." 

Aspen felt her eyes getting wetter and quickly blinked them away. 

"When you are truthfully ready to speak. You know where to find me, Ms. Malfoy."