PROLOGUE

From the diaries of Daniel St. Clair...

Now that all of my stubborn granddaughters are happily married I could now admit that my mission is finally complete. I succeeded with my plan and outwitted my granddaughters into good marriages within one year.

Ah, what a busy year it has been for me. Running my empire while meticulously planning my project one granddaughter after the other. I thought I could finally sit back and relax in my study room enjoying my retirement and a glass of whiskey while waiting for my newly married granddaughters to give me great-grandchildren for the next generations of the St. Clair clan.

My equilibrium was shaken when on the day of my youngest granddaughter, Emerald's civil wedding to the King of Saqr. I've always wondered if my son fathered illegitimate children before and during his marriage to his wife. Although, I am ashamed to admit that I couldn't do anything to stop him from having affairs. I feel guilty about his behavior sometimes I blamed myself for the silent suffering my daughter-in-law was experiencing during her marriage to my irresponsible son. To appease my guilty conscience I made sure that their daughters will marry men who would love them with everything they have.

Now my worst nightmare came to life. I just receive a thorough investigation of this young woman who is currently working at the St. Clair Diamonds as an intern. I don't need DNA to prove her paternity. Her resemblance to Sapphire is undeniable. I don't know if this is only pure coincidence or if Aquamarine Bennett is looking for her father but one thing is for sure. I cannot deny this child's birthright. She's a St. Clair, after all.

But that's not all the revelation this old man had just learned. My foolish son had fathered a son even before he married his wife! Now I am thinking of sending Aquamarine and Ryker on a mission to find this eldest St. Clair child. I want to get acquainted with my youngest granddaughter and that boy—since he failed miserably in making King Khalil jealous over his pretend engagement Emerald he needs to work extra hard for me if he wants to retrieve their family heirloom that was currently in my possession!

Now a naughty idea crossed my old but sharp brain. It seems that my retirement from matchmaking is postponed at the moment.

AQUAMARINE

"Are you sure about this, Erin?"

I stopped packing my things and looked at my grandmother who was standing in the doorway with a sad expression on her face.

"We already talk about this right, Gran?" I reminded her thoughtfully. "It's hard to turn down the opportunity to work for such a big company. In addition, the salary for their intern is so impressive that I might as well grab this chance."

"I know that sweetie," my kind-hearted grandmother answered with a slightly forced smile on her face. "But New York is such a big city and very far away from here. Do you think you can manage on your own?"

I smiled bravely in her direction and went to her side. I took both of her hands in mine and squeezed them tightly. "Don't worry about me. I'm already a grown woman and I can now take care of myself."

Grandmother sighed deeply, looking at me with sad eyes. She affectionately caressed my cheeks with her wrinkled hand. "I can see that, Erin. But your grandmother couldn't help but worry about you in that big city on your own. It wasn't long since your mother passed away now you are moving to the big city to pursue your dream."

I gave her a tight smile that didn't quite reach my eyes probably. My conscience was nudging me because I am not completely honest with her about the real reason why I choose to apply to the well-known St. Clair Diamonds. And then, there's also the fact that it's been only a few weeks since mom died from cancer and now I am leaving Gran on her own but I didn't expect that I would get hired at the famous St. Clair Diamonds. I just told her that it was my dream to work in that company and I hide the fact that I suspect that I am related to the famous St. Clair family and that the son of the owner is probably my biological father according to my extensive research.

"Aquamarine..." I mentally cringed when my grandmother drawled my full name. I silently hate my full name and I preferred to be addressed by my nickname 'Erin'. I hate my name because my mom told me that the man who fathered me and had never been a father to me choose this name for me when I was born. But he was never part of my childhood. I never laid my eyes on him ever.

"It's Erin, Gran. Aquamarine is so mouthful." I reasoned out that while the truth was that I just detest the name. Also, one of the reasons, why I suspect that I am related to the St. Clair family is that according to my research all of the four St. Clair heiresses were all named after certain gemstones just like me. Such fitting names for jewelry heiresses, right?

"Fine, Erin." Gran acknowledged with a loving smile on her face. "I like your name it suits you just like the gemstone you were named after."

I only gave her a taut smile. How can I tell her that that's the main reason why I hate the name because it reminded me of the man who ruined my mother's life? "Will you be okay if I leave you alone here? Perhaps you want to come with me to New York, Gran?"

She shook her head resolutely. "I'll be fine here, sweetie. Cape May, the little town of ours is my home. I don't think I'll fit in the bustling city of New York. Go and chase your dreams and don't worry about me. I know you are meant for something big more that Cape May has to offer."

My eyes were misted with tears. Now I am having second thoughts about pushing through with my plans and leaving my grandmother alone here. Is this worth the effort of getting to know those infamous families that might be my relatives too? I don't have any plans of creating chaos due to my presence I just want to know the other half of me. My plan was just simple work disguised in their company as I learned more about my father and his family without the need to reveal my identity.

"Don't worry about me, Gran." I heard myself saying. "My friend, Anya is already in New York working so I will be not alone in that huge city. I have someone I know who can help me if ever I need help."

"That's good to know, dear."

"I will keep in touch with you always," I promised my grandmother. "And I will take care of myself."

Gran wiped the moisture in her eyes as she tried to stop the tears from falling in her eyes. "Very well, I will help you pack your things."

I smiled gratefully at my grandmother. She's the best grandmother I could ask for. Mom and I lived with her ever since. My grandfather died when mom was still barely a teenager since then Gran raised my mother alone. She also took care of us when mom got pregnant and the man who fathered me ran away from his responsibility now it's my turn to give Gran a comfortable life after all the sacrifices she did for us. Mom and I owed it to her.

After packing my clothes into the luggage I hugged her suddenly. "Thank you for everything you did for us, Gran. If it's not for you mom and I were probably on the streets of New Jersey trying to make ends meet."

She stifled a laugh while hugging me back. "Silly, child. How can I not take good care of you both? You and your mom are means everything to me, even if she's unlucky when it comes to love I will always be here for her no matter what."

"Mom is lucky to have a mother like you," I commented as my eyes blurred with tears. "You're always there to support her even when she lost direction in life."

"She's my daughter. I will always be here for her even after having her heart shattered by men one after the other." She gently caressed my hair. "She always longed for fatherly love that's why she mistook the interest of men in her as love."

"I love you, Gran."

She drew back from our embrace so she could look at me. "I love you more, sweetie. You are the only thing your mom left on me. You are my treasure."

I wrapped my arms around her once again as we sat on the foot of my bed and stayed like that for a long moment. It feels like I was once again in my childhood years as I often embrace her like this when I am feeling down or sad.

I swear once I was satisfied with my curiosity about the St. Clair family I would look for a high-paying job in New York to give my grandma the comfortable life she deserves. Now that my mom was now in heaven grandma is the only one left to me. I need to take good care of my only family.

Three days after that conversation with Gran in my bedroom. I stood outside the imposing high-rise building of the famous St. Clair Diamonds flagship store.

I can do this... I reassured myself while calming my nerves and racing my heart. I even shuddered but it has something to do with the cold weather. Even though, I thought I have prepared myself for this countless times in the past it was still a different matter when you're really about to execute your plan right at this moment.

With my nervousness, I forced myself to take a single step toward the revolving glass door. I made sure to dress smartly on my first day on the job as an intern. I even bought uncomfortable but beautiful stilettos because this kind of shoe was favored by women working in corporate jobs.

Once inside the stunning lobby, my attention was caught by the huge portrait of one of the twins and the youngest of the St. Clair clan—the supermodel and face of their company, Emerald St. Clair. She's wearing the latest jewelry collection looking regal and untouchable. Anyone who entered this place will draw to this huge photograph just like that tall, strikingly handsome, Arab-looking man who was currently admiring the picture of my potential half-sister with such interest. He was busy ignoring the look every female in the lobby was throwing in his direction. His sole interest was in the portrait of Emerald alone.

My heart jumped in my chest when the woman in question strutted inside the lobby like it was her runway. Emerald St. Clair automatically went in the direction of this handsome stranger who was admiring her photograph. From what I could see from my distance it seems that they were bickering but the handsome man's face was filled with amusement rather than annoyance so it makes me wonder if they were arguing or what.

I shook my head. I have more time to get to know them what matters now is I will not be late on my first day as an intern. I removed my eyes from Emerald St. Clair and that handsome stranger and walked in the direction of the receptionist.

"Yes?" The woman behind the table asked me once I approached.

"Hi, I'm the new intern for the St. Clair Diamonds," I answered with a professional-looking smile on my face.

"Name?"

I took a deep breath. "Erin. Aquamarine Bennett."

She typed something on her computer before smiling slightly at me. She gave me this temporary company id. "Proceed on the Human Resources. 25th floor."

I took the id and pinned it on my shirt. "Thank you."

She nodded before smiling brightly in my direction. "Welcome to St. Clair Diamonds, Ms. Bennett."

I nodded in return, and just like that, I'm in.