Normal?

By morning light, Gordon wakes. He swings his legs out of the bed and stands up. He walks over to the fire place and adds some more logs.

"Come back to bed." Brianna says.

He turns round to her and gives her a small smile.

"Im coming lass." He says.

He walks back over to the bed and climbs back in.

"Ill be going back to work soon." He says.

She puts an arm over his waist and rests her head on his chest.

"Not too soon I hope." She says.

"Its the only way I'll be fit again. Muscular." He says.

There is silence for a couple of moments.

"Whilst you were gone, it was our one year wedding anniversary." She says.

"I know." He says.

"Did you remember?" She says.

"Not on the day. But once I knew that it was past January, how could I forget that we were wed." He says.

"It was one of the hardest days without you." She says.

He puts his hand on her back and rubs it slowly.

"I thought too much of this baby not meeting you." She says.

He takes his hand and places it over her stomach.

She looks at him and kisses him softly.

"I want to call him Gordon." She says.

"You think it's a boy?" He asks.

"Well, I'm carrying low." She says.

"Wee Donnie." He says.

"Donnie?" She says.

"Aye. That's what I was called when I was a bairn." He says.

"I didn't know that. When did you become Gordon?" She says.

"Maybe 15. When I was a man I suppose and not a wee boy. You have to become bigger, stronger and Donnie is a wee lad. Not a man." He says.

She slowly reaches for his face with her hand and pecks him gently.

"I thought that he would be all I had left of you. And I was so grateful to even have that." She says.

"You have my soul as well. That has always belonged to you and no other." He says.

"After a couple of weeks, I starting thinking that we'd never get you home. I didn't give up, I just didn't want to think about you not coming home or too much about you coming home in case you never did." She says.

"I wanted so much to be able to hold you close to me. For weeks it was all I thought about. I never thought of rescue, nor death. My mind was blank and I did not have the energy to muster any thought at all." He says.

Gordon looks quickly to Brianna's belly as the baby kicks.

He puts his hand to her belly and holds it softly.

"He never kicked really. Not until he started hearing you. He knows his father." She says.

"My wee lad." He says back to her.

He leans down gently and kisses her stomach.

"I worry that what happened before, with wee Archie will happen again." Gordon says.

Brianna looks to her stomach. "It worries me too, although Mama assured me that it's not a pattern of sorts, that it's just bad luck sometimes. That the likelihood of it happening again isn't increased by having it happen once."