Chapter Nine: Make The Neighbors Talk 1/2

I lay down on the bed and go through the messages that I've received in the time that it took me to take a shower and get dressed for bed.

Liz: Thank you for a fun night.

Me: Thank Harley. He paid for it.

I scrolled down a little more to see a message from Sara, we had exchanged numbers before everyone went our separate ways wanting to get some sleep. We all had a big day tomorrow.

Sara: We need to hang out again<3

Me: Definitely,

She was a very cheerful energy to be around, she did the majority of the talking and that fact helped me loosen up to the idea of hanging out with her because she wasn't expecting many conversations from me.

Mama: I'm sorry. He's here to stay this time. I wish you two would give him a chance.

Me: He's done this before. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I did hold sympathy for my mother, but she couldn't leave that sorry man alone long enough to be a part of her own son's wedding. I feel like I don't even know her anymore. How could she do this to Finnic and Liz? Has she been messaging them? I knew if she had he would ignore her, Finnic remembers the rough part of Gander leaving while the memories are still a blur for me, Finnic remembers everything.

I couldn't imagine having to see the woman we love the most being put through that. Now she was subjecting herself to that pain again and it was going to turn around and bite her. I thought she would have had more of a backbone to turn him away if he came back but I should have known better, she never let him go. He's just been sitting dormant in her mind for years now.

My heart ached for everything to go back to what it was a couple of months ago. Before my apartment was broken into robbing me of my safe space. Before, my mother subjected herself to that man's embrace again.

If she misses this wedding, Finnic will never forgive her for good reason.

"He's just going to leave you crying," I murmur under my breath setting my phone down on the end table, a sigh escaping me from exhaustion.

The phone starts ringing, causing me to pick it back up aggressively. "I just want to s-." The complaint halts in its tracks when I see the caller id.

"Hey," I say softly.

"Open your door." Harley's voice sounded strained and tired. He must have had a long night.

I hang up the phone and let my feet pattering against the cold flooring on my way to the front. I unlock what felt like a million locks and sling it open to see Harley leaning against its frame. "Sorry, it's so late."

"It's fine I haven't long been home myself."

"Can I crash here? I have to be back in town early in the morning and it's already..." He glances down at his watch. "One forty-five. Fuck." His hair tussled and sweat glistened on his skin, but I doubted he ended up taking a shower tonight, he would put it off until in the morning and I didn't even blame him. His green orbs looked worse than mine. Were they drinking? More than likely.

"You know I don't care."

"Your neighbors think we're screwing." He added causally. Coming to stand by me near the hallway entrance, debating if I wanted to give in to the craving for sleep or enjoy his company just as long as I could. It seems to me that my need for Harley was stronger than the necessities for life.

"You think? This complex could use something to talk about. I bet I'm the only person under sixty-five living here." I grab his hand feeling the warm rough flesh embrace mine as well. "Come on."

I drag him to my room, and he puts his heels on the floor looking at me like I'm crazy. "What are you doing?" Skepticism reigned clear in his actions. God, this probably looked suggestive in his eyes. I blush a ruby red and cover my face trying to hide it. The warm feeling was unnatural all over my body, I wish there was a switch to turn it off whenever I wanted to.

"I did not mean ..." I peek a glance at him to find him smirking slightly at my embarrassment. "Just trust me."

I take his hand back in mine and pull him to my bed. I climb onto the covers causing my t-shirt to puddle at my waist showing off my boy shorts. I honestly didn't care; Harley didn't look at me like that anyways. He flirts to pick on me ...

It didn't stop the feeling creeping over me like his eyes were roaming my bare flesh. A shiver, chill bumps, following the path of his gaze. My imagination ... Had to be.

I look back at him with a small on my face. I felt free, having made a friend tonight, I wanted to do something that I normally would never have the nerve for. I grabbed the headboard and started to rock back and forth making it hit the wall with a loud thud.

Harley climbs up beside me and helps me shake the bed laughing along with me. "They are going to think you're a harlot, Maddie." He almost sounded scolding but amused at the same time.

"You're the only one that comes over here. Some harlot I am." We keep going until we've both worked up a sweat and our muscles grow tired. We're both panting but a smile graces both of our faces before we fall onto my bed from exhaustion.

"You should have thrown in a few fake moans in there. Now they are going to think I'm bad at what I do." He looks my way and I laugh.

"I wouldn't even know where to start," I admit, hoping he doesn't read too much into it, I wasn't trying to out all of my secrets to him. I wanted to save some for myself.

We sat there in silence for a little while. "That was fun," I admit.

"I could have thought of something even more fun, that would have had them talking," he suggested, and I smacked his chest, not having his flirting anymore.

"Okay, I'll stop."

"No, you want." I chuckled through my pants.

"Your right."

I feel my eyelids growing heavy and sleep overtaking me quickly. I've never fallen asleep this quickly in my life, but something tells me it's from a looming presence beside me.