Chapter 4 (Zara)

Zara smiled up at the towering trees that wrapped their arms above Stelan's streets. Moss hung low from the branches. It was the first month of the new year. People flooded the cobblestone streets to celebrate the god Zeev. Draped in vibrant colors, they drank and danced and laughed. Zara's hand slipped from her mother's as a couple—all swirling skirts and joy—bumped into her. But Zara didn't mind. She stared up at the couple in awe as fire swirled above them in time with their movements. Other fyras joined in, and the sky became a blaze of wispy, coiling flames.

Another dancer knocked into Zara, and she tumbled. Her hands scraped against stone. She cried out and tried to regain her footing. When she stood, the streets were vacant.

Without the fires, the icy winds nipped at her skin. She curled in on herself, crossing her arms. Her teeth chattered. Down the street, she glimpsed her childhood home. But it didn't look like home anymore. The windows were cracked. The door was torn from its hinges. The vines that normally blanketed the exterior in green were shriveled and brown. A gust of wind blew past her, and when it reached the end of the street, her home crumbled to ash.

Zara ran toward it, calling for her parents. No one answered. The closer she got, the further the end of the street became. Caught in some strange, warped moment. She shouted again. Hoped someone—anyone—could hear her.

The wind stilled. Ashes settled. Her boots landed in a crimson puddle.

She staggered back.

All around her, the ground was stained in blood.

"Hello?" she tried again, but her voice faded before it left her lips.

A lone figure appeared behind her. "Zara?"

It was Breckan, her childhood best friend. He was younger here. No more than five.

She crouched down to his height. "What are you doing here?"

"I want to go home. When can we go home, Z?"

She looked around them. "There is no home anymore."

"We need to go home." Then he burst into flames and disappeared.

The ashes where her home used to be caught fire. Within it, the house began to take shape again, rebuilding itself.

With shaky steps, she approached the front door and nudged it open. As she crossed the threshold, the door shut on its own and left her in total darkness. And somewhere in that darkness came a guttural growl.

She tried to use her fyra magic. She could smell the smoke and feel the heat in her hands, but there was no light. The growling got closer, splitting into a dozen more.

Something shattered, and she startled awake.

The scent of smoke lingered. She released her grip on the blanket to find two black spots burned through the scratchy fabric.

Still reeling from the dream, Zara scrambled to sit upright against the headboard. The room was small, just a bed, a small trunk, and a wash basin. It was one of the few rooms available at the inn. She'd hoped being on the second floor would deter anyone from trying to break in. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be the case tonight.

"What in the gods' names do you think you're doing?" Zara asked.

Kayden was climbing through the window without her usual grace, an empty liquor bottle shattered on the floor.

"None of your business," Kayden muttered, then cursed as she finally stumbled into the room.

"You're drunk."

"Don't worry. It never lasts long enough." She let out a long breath. "Useless healing magic."

Zara gritted her teeth. "You need to leave, Kayden. It's late."

When Stars Fall (Book 2, When Shadows Rise series)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara