Chapter Ten

A/N: Happy (late) Holidays everyone! As a mini present, I used Artbreeder (not an art-stealing AI) to create the characters how I imagined them, along with their aesthetics! This is how I imagine them and I just thought it was cute and wanted to share, so please keep thinking of them however you have been.

        The sun's fading rays gleamed through tall, rounded windows, casting the marble floors with a champagne light

        The sun's fading rays gleamed through tall, rounded windows, casting the marble floors with a champagne light. Ryia and I silently followed behind her parents as we strolled through the now unrecognizable halls of the Alterio mansion. Now adorned with thin silks and flowers, they barely resembled what I had seen just a few days prior. As we neared the main hall, the swish of fabric brushing against itself was slowly drowned out by the muddled voices and music coming from the set of heavy oak doors at the end of the hallway.

        A nod to the waiting servant was all it took for the doors to crack open, allowing the warm glow and light music to flood the hallway. A pearly, curved staircase was all that separated me from the sprawling extravagance of the main hall. Over a hundred noble lords and ladies already mingled below, their lavish outfits bright blooms of color against the white floors.

        With a stabilizing hand on the delicately carved marble railing, I started towards the main floor, where delicate flower arrangements spotted every surface, sprawling across tables and wrapping around great Corinthian pillars. Arched windows gave a glimpse of the swiftly darkening skies and the outdoor balconies that overlooked the perfectly manicured gardens. Even more enchanting were the chandeliers, whose golden candlelight refracted through crystal shards, bathing the room with twinkling rainbows that danced along with the guests. Once on the main floor, the clacks of our heels reverberated through the hall.

        As we walked through the crowds and towards the dais that had been put up for this occasion, my attention was split between taking in the gorgeous décor and trying not to step on the layered, baby blue dress I wore. With gossamer that itched my shoulders and dangling blue topaz earrings, Ryia's pick, I'd never felt so out of place in my clothes. If this was going to be my life from now, which seemed more and more likely with each passing, I'd have to get used to the finery. As odd as it felt, half of me did enjoy playing dress-up. When we reached the dais, I copied Ryia as she curtsied. Ryia's father greeted the king, and as the two men talked, I could get a good look at the royal family.

        The king was a burly man who looked out of place in his finery and crown. With a scar slashed across the left side of his jaw and golden eyes harsher than his son's, he seemed more fit for a battlefield than a royal ball. The queen consort sat to his right, her blood-red dress spilling off her throne and onto the surrounding floor. Her blonde hair was swept up into an intricate updo, finished off with her diamond and pearl-encrusted tiara. Staring at the queen, I could imagine Ryia sitting on that throne and the fake smile she'd no doubt be sporting.

        Sawyer sat to his left, wearing a red jacket. Black boots came up to his knees, his white pants tucked into them. With a golden coronet on his head, as much as I hated to admit it, he did look quite regal.