Chapter Twenty-Five: A Feast for the Senses

"I wanted to thank you for the tickets," I say to Jack that night on the phone. I'm at my place, sitting on the couch. I sent Ben out for takeout because I need to do this alone.

"You enjoyed the show?" His voice is tired, maybe even a bit low. He's been at work since yesterday, going home only briefly to shower and change. His company takes security a little too seriously, and insists that all access to company email and servers be terminated immediately. An easy task when it's just one person being let go. Arduous when it's over a hundred.

I feel like a shit for adding this news to his burdens, but I don't have a choice.

"I did enjoy it, thank you. But also ..." I shift uncomfortably. I don't know why this is so difficult. I have zero feelings for Jack except for friendship, and it's not like we ever really dated. We never even kissed. I just need to bite the bullet and get this out. "I don't think we should see each other again."

"Oh, I ... Is it because of last night?"

I feel panicky. "Um ..."

"I know missing a second date is a no-no."

"It's not that. I just ... I don't feel that way about you. I'm sorry."

He sighs. "Is this because of Ben?"

"Yes."

"Even if you can't be together?"

I believe in honesty, but I don't think I should tell him that we can be together. Or probably I should, but I don't feel like it. I have a feeling that Jack won't be too supportive given some of the things he's said in the past. Besides, I don't even know what is truly happening between me and Ben. I don't need to bring anyone else into it after already involving Kit and John.

"I don't think we should be talking about this."

"Okay."

"I'm sorry."

"It's all right. But I do like you, Chloe. I like you a lot."

"I like you too, Jack."

"Maybe another time?"

It would be easy to agree to this, to let him hang there, hoping that something might happen. But that would be cruel. Because even if there was no Ben, I wouldn't be attracted to Jack.

"I don't think so, Jack. I'm sorry."

"Okay."

"I hope you find someone."

"You too."

"Thank you. Do you want me to reimburse you for the tickets?"

"No, those were for you. For us."

I feel a stab of guilt. Us. I know it's just a figure of speech, but I have to wonder: did I cheat on Jack? Not technically, because we'd never had that conversation and had only been on a few dates. But it feels like cheating anyway. I was supposed to be on a date with him and instead, I ended up going home with Ben. How did that happen?

Maybe I'll figure that out eventually. In the meantime, I need to end this conversation.

"Okay, well, take care of yourself. See you around."

"See you next week."

"Huh?"

"At the engagement party? Kit invited me."

"Oh, right." Shit, I still have to find a venue for that. Kit is going to kill me. "Okay, well, see you then, I guess. Bye."

I hang up as I hear a key in my lock. I gave Ben my keys so it would be easier for him to get in and out. But now I'm regretting that a little. I could have used a moment between the conversation with Jack and Ben.