32

The drive up to the lake house felt as if it was taking decades. Turns out, my brother drives slower than a grandma on her way to bingo. Seated next to him in the passenger seat was Grayson, who mom allowed to intrude on our family trip because she considered him to be a part of our family. Meanwhile, I was forced to sit in the back seat. Despite having earphones plugged in with my phone's volume nearing full, I still couldn't block out the sound of electronic dance music playing on Bluetooth. Just now, they were playing a series of Skrillex songs that threatened to make my ears bleed. My mom and dad decided to drive up yesterday afternoon, after subtly hinting that they wanted to spend a night alone, which is why I was stuck with a pair of bozos.

Yesterday after I had confronted my friends and walked home, all of my friends had spammed our group chat saying how sorry they were. Angrily, I opted out of the group chat and then proceeded to mute all of their contacts, except for Lucy, who seemed to be the only one who cared.

I don't know what had happened to make them exclude me, and quite frankly, I no longer gave a fuck. All I cared about now was spending time with my family, and hopefully make sure that my mom has a good week before she's forced to live in a hospital room until her chemotherapy is over. I can deal with my so called friends later.

After a quick google search, I've learned a few things about Grandpa's lake house. It sits just on the outskirts of the small and quaint town known as Lake Serenity. Mostly known for it's beautiful scenery and gorgeous temperate forests, and, of course, it's vast lake which was deemed one of the top fifty charming lakes in the country. It made it to number 14 on the list, so that's something.

A text from Lucy came through on my phone.

Lucy:
Hey.

Me:
Hey.

Lucy:
I noticed you didn't come to school today. Are you okay?

Me:
Yeah, I'm good.

I won't be coming to school for awhile tho.

Lucy:
Oh.

Do you want to hang out later?

We can talk shit about the others if that'll make you fell better?

Feel** (I have no idea why autocorrect tryna switch up on me)

Me:
Haha. I can't. I'm spending the week in Lake Serenity.

Lucy:
Lake Serenity? Where the heck is that?

Me:
It's a few hours away. Turns out, we have a lake house there. 🤯 😳

Lucy:
Huh?

A lake house?

Damn, is ur family old-money rich?

I chuckled at that before typing in my response.

Me:
Ikr. Apparently we've always had it and I only found out about it the other night.

Lucy:
It sounds amazing. I hope you have a good time.

When you get back we can hang out?