CHAPTER 01

SKYLAR

"You're not serious, right, mom?"

"Please try to talk to him, Sky," my mom said with pleading eyes. She asked me to come to their house because dad wanted to ask for a favor. Now I stood in dad's study room thinking about the mistake I made in coming here. "I know that he will listen to you if you ask him this."

"Are you serious, mom?!" I let out a frustrated sigh. "You know damned well that I cannot possibly do that."

"Just tell him for old time's sake and give you this small favor you are about to ask. He now owns fifty-five percent of our company and in the next board meeting your father might lose the chairmanship of the company your grandfather built with his blood, sweat, and tears."

I pressed my eyes shut while rubbing my forehead warily. I should have listened to my instinct moments ago and them that I am busy. I unconsciously played with the wedding ring on my finger. "He hates me, mom. After what I did to him, do you honestly think that he will want to see me again?"

The change in my mother's expression was instant. From her anxious face, it was replaced by unmistakable anger. "He should be grateful to us. If not for me and your dad he was probably dead by now. If we didn't pay for his operation four years ago—"

"I paid that price, remember?" I informed my mother harshly, while it also reminded me of the things I lost because of that agreement with my parents. "I followed your demand that I should marry Charles in exchange for that favor. Don't claim that you pay for his operations out of the goodness of your heart. Because you certainly did not!"

"Oh, sweetie," for the first time dad joined the conversation. He was sitting at his study table while my mother was standing next to him. "I am sure your mother doesn't mean to remind you of our deal four years ago."

"Michael!" My mother protested to my father.

Dad looked at mom drily. "What? I am just telling her the truth. There's no need to bring up the past now, don't you think? Everyone had already moved on from that, right? Besides, our Skylar just lost her husband six months ago. She is still grieving. Don't put pressure on her and talk to this man about the chairmanship of our company."

I smiled bitterly. If only they knew... Six months ago, Charles' died in a tragic car accident and his parents blamed me for the unexpected demise of their only son. They said that I am the curse on their son's life since he married me his life had been a living hell. We've been married for almost four years and yet according to them, I was an irresponsible wife since I couldn't give Charles children to secure their precious family name. Their anger toward me intensified when their son died leaving no heir for their family. They told me explicitly that I should be the one who died instead of their beloved son.

"...Sky? Are you listening, honey?"

I forced myself to focus on the present time instead of reminiscing about my unhappy marriage. If only I didn't marry that man... I shook my head. It's already late for the 'ifs' in the choice I made in the past, given the chance I might still choose the path that I took. "What did you say, dad?"

My father, Michael, smiled at me. "I asked you, how are you coping with Charles' death? Are you okay?"

Once again, I played with the wedding ring on my left hand. It felt cold and heavy on my finger and to be honest I couldn't wait to remove this damned thing from my hand but my mother told me to wait for at least another six months before tucking it away for good. She said it might not be a good idea to take out my wedding ring so soon after my husband's passing.

But I couldn't wait to get rid of this ring that reminded me of my hellish marriage!

I snorted at my father's question when I realize that he was still waiting for my answer. "I'm fine, dad. Apart from the fact that his mother kept on reminding me that I am the reason why her son died and she's pressuring me to vacate the penthouse I shared with Charles. I am fine, dad."