31. The Healer

Perhaps fortunately for Eldor, the Healer arrived at that moment, puffing from her hasty climb up the stairs. Looking nearer forty than her fifty years, the Healer had snapping brown eyes and a long grey plait that reached her waist. A pouch slung over one shoulder, clinked as she moved.

"How is the Guild Master? Hemal, you said? How much did he get?" Without waiting for an answer, she hurried over and knelt down beside the prone figure.

"I'm sorry, we don't know exactly," apologized Lucian. "Here's the syringe but I shot some of it into Eldor, so it's hard to tell." He offered the used syringe to the Healer but she waved it away after a brief glance.

"I don't have time to test that right now. For the moment, I'll assume it was standard strength but a heavy dose."

Ben watched with interest as she peeled back each eyelid and checked her patient's pulse, all things an English nurse or doctor would have done. Then she whipped out a small glass from her pouch and held it over Midor's heart, keeping it very steady as she peered into it. Well, okay, that was different.

"How is he?" Lucian asked. "Should we carry him down to the Healer's Quarters?"

The Healer pursed her lips. "His signs are fair considering. I think he just needs to sleep this off. I expect him to make a full recovery, however, perhaps it would be best if I keep an eye on him, just in case. Can someone give me a hand to carry him to his own quarters? I think he'd be more comfortable there."

"Ben and I can do that," Lucian offered. "I think Tsenor should stay here and keep watch over Mage Eldor."

Tsenor, who had been studying Eldor with a sour expression, nodded in agreement, then caught sight of the apprentice hovering in the doorway.

"Fetch a couple of my guards up here would thee, lad? I'll need some help, he's no light weight."

The Healer stood and examined Ben with raised brows. "Ben, is it? And where did thee spring from? I haven't seen thee in Vierrac before."

"I've come from what you call the mirror worlds."

"He came through the scrying glass," Lucian added, with a touch of pride.

"Did he, though?" The Healer looked startled. "I didn't realise that was possible."

"No," Lucian agreed. "But I saw it with my own eyes."

"I'd be interested in talking to thee, once we have this sorted," the Healer addressed Ben, "but for now, if each of thee take him by the arm, we should get the Guild Master to his bed."

Cautiously, Ben and Lucian heaved the Guild Master upright and draped his arms over each of their shoulders. His feet trailing between them, they followed the Healer out of the scrying room and down the stairs.

Ben was curious to see what sort of quarters the mages occupied in Tower Vierrac. He hoped they were bigger than those he had experienced at Rider's Keep. He suppressed a shudder at the memory.

The Healer led them down to the floor immediately below the scrying room and unlatched the solid wooden door. She pushed it open and ushered them inside. The room was set up as a study but the first thing that drew Ben's eyes was the large window. At waist height and set deep in the thick stone walls of the tower, it was currently open to the sky. Ben imagined there would be shutters on the outside to keep the room warm during winter, but at the moment the cold air flowing in was invigorating. A wooden desk was set to one side and bookshelves and glass-fronted cabinets filled with jars lined the walls.

Ben would have loved to study the contents but the Healer was still walking, leading them through a curtain to a smaller room beyond. A narrow bed was pushed against one wall and a clothes rack took up another, with a sturdy wooden trunk sitting on the floor beneath. It seemed there was no fashion for wardrobes anywhere in Rhillion.

They laid the Guild Master gently on the bed and the Healer covered him with one of the rugs. A faint snore rewarded them.

The Healer smiled. "Thanks for thy help. I'll look after him now."

"Let me know if thee need anything," Lucian answered. "I'll just see if Tsenor needs our help with Eldor."

The two men climbed back up to the scrying room, only to find it empty. Tsenor and Eldor had gone. Evidently, the guards had wasted no time in coming up to move him. Ben picked up his bag, feeling suddenly uncertain about the next step. It was all very well to return to Rhillion on the spur of the moment, but what was he going to do here? How was he going to make a living?

Lucian gave him a tentative smile.

"I don't know if you've had time to make any plans yet, but would you like to share my quarters while you decide?"

Ben hesitated. Much as he had enjoyed kissing Lucian, he wasn't at all sure that he wanted to move in with him. Not yet, at any rate. Then he realized Lucian was still speaking, a faint flush staining his cheeks.

"I'm certain the Guild Master will arrange for you to have your own quarters here in the Tower when he is able, but in the meantime, I can ask the steward to bring up another bed to put in my rooms."

Ben smiled. "Thank you, I'd appreciate that."

"Good." Lucian looked relieved. "I'll take you down now so you can leave your bag, and then I'll show you around the rest of Vierrac if you like."

"That would be great. I'd love a guided tour. This place looks fascinating from the little I've seen. And you can show me where the kitchens are," he added in hopeful tones. "Maybe I'll be able to get a snack."

Lucian grinned. "Come on, then."

Carrying his bag, Ben followed Lucian out of the room but they had barely started down the stairs before sounds of a disturbance floated up to them. Shouts and curses coloured the air.

"That'll be Eldor, I bet!" Ben cried. "What's he done now?" The two men leapt down the stairs to be met by a red-faced Tsenor on his way up.

"I'm sorry, Mages. I couldn't stop him. I thought he was still asleep, but he was only waiting until my back was turned. He's gone. Gone through his own mirror."