chapter fourteen:

Chapter Fourteen: "I just wanna feel your body right next to mine, all night long."

With Morales and T-dog in the know of Rick's mission, the alpha tells them to keep their parameters safe and the humans quiet, lest any more walker's make their way up to the quarry and cause more than a little disturbance, like spreading their disgusting and annoying disease and gnawing all of them to death

At the humans agreement, Rick makes his way back to the RV and stops Andrea. He informs her to keep herself and the other wolves inside the tents and vehicles, where they can keep themselves hidden, in case something goes terribly wrong. 

"When the sun sets?" Andrea asks, placing her hands onto her hips. 

Rick nods. "Exactly," he says, "I want you to keep our people alive until I come back. You think you can do that?''

"Yeah,'' Andrea assures, pale features hardening, "I can do that. Just…" she trails off, her shoulders tensing, "be sure to come back in one piece. I don't want Carl–"

"I know," Rick interrupts, voice steady, "I'm gonna come back. I ain't gonna leave any one of you." 

"Thank you," the blonde beta mumbles, looking off to the side. Her shoulders slump and her features visibly relax. "Thank you," she repeats. 

Rick pats her on the back and leaves, heading for the van that he'd stolen yesterday. Glenn is already there, uncomfortably fiddling with the hem of his shirt. Daryl is beside him, armed with his crossbow, eyebrows furrowed at Merle, who's absolutely red with anger, hands formed into tight fists and lips pulled back, showing off his sharp teeth. 

Then there's Ren, dressed in his clean cargo pants and his oversized zip up, expression settled into indifference, looking ever so bored as Ed, Carol's human husband, talks disgustingly down to him. 

"Should be on ya knees right now," Ed says, leering at Ren, "ain't that your job, you slut? Huh? Pleasing another man's dick?"  

Merle opens his mouth just as Rick slowly, quietly, like a predator stalking its prey, comes to a stop behind Ed. At Rick's sharp glare, Merle's mouth shuts with an audible click, the vein in the side of his neck literally popping out from beneath his skin. 

Beside him, Daryl's blue eyes glance at Rick and then smoothly slide towards Ren, a single shoulder raising itself into a barely there shrug, uncaring of Ed's scathing words, but also seemingly concerned for a fellow omega. 

Noticing Rick, Glenn steps away, slow, hesitant, knowing that at any moment, Rick will snap and the situation will divert into dangerous territory. 

"Can't talk without tha' useless alpha of yours around?" Ed asks, sneering. "That's fine with me," the human fumbles with his belt, evidently trying to get it off, "come here and make me—"

Rick innocently taps Ed on the shoulder, irritated beyond belief, his vexation a deadly, forceful thing, the monster underneath his skin no longer asleep. He waits for the human to turn around, pulls his hand back and then punches Ed at an alarming speed, sending that vile piece of shit to the ground. 

Rick may not be the first person to punch Ed, but he'll definitely be the last. 

Ed grunts, holding a hand to his now bloody nose. His eyes are wide, his shock clear. He scrambles on the ground, trying to get to his feet, but Rick catches him by the front of his shirt and punches him again and again and again, relishing in the sight of bruises and blood, euphoria tangling with his vicious rage. 

Rick doesn't know how much time passes between his first punch and his last, but the moment the scent of ozone gets closer and a hand settles onto the back of his neck, soft, gentle, caring, he pauses. Breathing heavily, fist raised inches from Ed's unconscious, beaten face, the sight of the disgusting human crushed beneath his unwavering strength makes him unbelievably delighted