Chapter 20

Daphne had returned to the ton and Artemis had been spending nearly every afternoon with the Dutchess. 

Daphne had exploited all of her troubles and cried tears praying that she had gotten pregnant. While Artemis felt for the girl and genuinely believed the Duke's deception had wronged her, she couldn't help the sinking feeling she got when Daphne told her what she did. 

She didn't voice her thoughts, knowing the girl was distraught and didn't understand the atrocity she had committed toward the duke.  She had assaulted him. She was trying to impregnate herself without his consent or desire. 

She knew that there was no malicious intent on Daphne's part and she doubted she understood precisely what she did. 

They both had broken the most fundamental factor of a healthy marriage, trust. 

So Artemis held her as she cried, trying desperately to be on her side. Keeping her musings in the recesses of her own mind. 

Time passed and Daphne's courses resumed as normal, exposing that she was not pregnant.

It was the eve before the Hasting's ball. Daphne had put so much time and effort into planning after the tragedy of not falling pregnant. 

Artemis sat at her desk, reading through the dozens of marriage requests from the ton. Tomorrow marked the end of the social season, as well as the time limit for the Illyrian princess to pick her noble husband. 

Once again, for what seemed to be the 100th night in a row, the maid announced the arrival of Anthony Bridgerton. 

There he stood, glowing in the candlelight. His soft brown eyes took her in as she unceremoniously dropped the requests on her desk. 

"You know you have gotten yourself into the habit of visiting me at night. Not that I don't enjoy our conversations, but what will you do once I am married?" The princess asked, leaning back casually into the cushion of her chair. 

"Be your most loving and doting husband, of course," Anthony responded without hesitation as he leaned against the deep mahogany of her desk. 

"Mind your tongue. Your teasing is too much." Artemis smiled once again reading through the page of Lord Williams' request. 

Anthony reached into his inner jacket pocket, producing a worn letter. The letter had already been opened, having been cut up the side rather than break the precious red seal at on the back. 

As she took the letter from his hands she realized she recognized the wax seal stamped to the envelope. The seal of the Ancient and Most Noble House of Black, her father's royal seal. 

"Why do you have a letter from my father?" Artemis asked. 

"The first night I visited you here. After finding out what Berbrooke had attempted on my sister and what you had done to stop it. You sat right over there, in that chair as I raved like a madman. Sitting there flushed with sleep, untidied, and draped in your lilac silk nightgown. And I looked at you and you were the most gorgeous thing I had ever seen, and your fist was bruised from protecting my sister. You told me my faults, and you advised me on how to be better. I left this room realizing there is no one else I would entrust my family, my future, and my heart to than you." Anthony whispered softly as a prayer as Artemis opened the letter. 

Viscount Bridgerton, 

I have received your request for marrying my daughter. My wife nearly shed tears at your beautiful words of love. Love and safety are all I've ever wanted for my children. I have failed many times in this regard, especially with the twins. I know better than to answer for my daughter but you have no objections from me. Take care of her, give her the life she has always deserved but was never afforded. Remember that I have diplomatic immunity and am more than willing to kill you should you fail to care for her. 

King Michael Black

first of my name, conqueror of Illyria, and father of the freed state

Tears fell down Artemis Freyja Black's cheeks as she finished reading the letter. She glanced up to find Anthony down on one knee, holding the ring that used to belong to his mother. 

"You are everything I desire. You have consumed me from the moment I met you. There is no other, I would have stand by my side for the rest of my life... Artemis Freya Black, first of your name, General of the Southern Legions, conqueror of Adrietta, and second Princess of Illyria... Will you marry me?"

"Yes."