Chapter Ten

Changes: 

- I've always pictured Allen with glasses and forgot to include that in my descriptions of him, so you'll notice I added that in! I went back through and added his glasses in the previous chapters.

-  I went back to the very beginning to introduce each character with their last names. (Jesse Ashford, Kendall Nguyen, and Quinn Dauer).

---

"My aim in life has always been to hold my own with whatever's going. Not against: with." - Robert Frost

Memory Lane: Chapter Ten

For the remainder of the week, Jesse seemed to trust that I really did memorize the path after walking with him twice. His truck rolled right past the Stallard's every morning. I didn't mind, though. Trying to keep up with his long stride was hard enough the first two days.

After our pop quiz on Tuesday, I rushed to the bathroom to check the status of my legs. To my horror, they were not the right color. Since my surgery, my legs have slowly faded from a hideous crimson red to a more tolerable pink. After trying to keep up with Jesse, however, they snapped back to a darkish red color.

Worry wormed its way into my head the entire day. As soon as school let out, I was talking to Aunt June about setting up an appointment with my doctor. While panic filled my brain, Aunt June remained calm and reminded me that I have a check-in next week. With her soothing words of reassurance that I would be okay to wait, I finally agreed. I've been lathering on my medical lotion at least four times a day and the irritation has since slipped away.

I'm glad that Jesse has left me on my own the rest of the week for more than just the discomfort on my legs. I know he barely held back his own slew of questions when I had to stop on the bench. The curiosity in his gaze signified a line of questioning more than small-talk would approve. If I plan on keeping quiet about things, I'd rather limit his chances to ask.

On Tuesday, right on cue, Jesse's old red truck lurched to life at 7 o'clock. From my window seat, with my mom's poetry journal open in my lap, I watched his truck switch from first to second gear and drive down the small, neighborhood road. Same time as last week.

It wouldn't grip my attention so much if Allen and the girls hadn't consistently mentioned how little Jesse goes out anymore. And when I brought it up, none of them seemed to know where it was that Jesse was going. I shouldn't be as curious as I am, but something about Jesse and the guarded look in his eye has officially caught my attention.

Tonight, as I've learned is typical from the past three Saturday's I've lived in Bennington, there's another party. This one is being held by Freckle-Freddie and I was filled with gratitude when he approached me on his own to send word of the invite. It made me feel like I'm finally becoming  one of the many kids that live in Bennington rather than Allen's little cousin. (Which still makes me roll my eyes as I am really only five days younger).

"You three ready to go?" Allen asks, loudly knocking on the door to my room where Quinn, Kendall, and myself reside with clothes, makeup, and sleeping bags thrown all around the floor.

Kendall and Quinn drove over earlier today with a suitcase filled with various outfits for the three of us to try on in preparation for the party and with overnight items so that they can stay the night. They hadn't announced their arrival with a text or a call, but that didn't matter when the doorbell rang. Rather than panic that Kendall and Quinn were at the door, my face broke out into a huge smile that they expected to get ready with me. As if I've been one of their friends since the beginning. The thought made my chest warm and my smile hasn't slipped away since.