VII

CHAPTER SEVENMIRAGE

CHAPTER SEVEN
MIRAGE

'Tell me how to find them.'

I'd never heard that tone on my tongue before. I would love it had it not been so raw; so unbearable to feel. My hands shook, struggling to grasp the knife pointed at this woman.

Santos snorts. 'Do you honestly believe that I'd break my—'

I lean forward so abruptly that stars dance in the corners of my vision. 'If you think I give a fuck about agreements where you've signed your life away over spilling any information of these people, then you've found yourself in a terrible place at an awful time.'

'Like I advised you, Miss Hoskins,' she clips matter of factly. 'The girl and your husband are en route to Biosyn Genetics. They're gone. You missed them.'

'Why did Biosyn want them?'

She doesn't reply. I heap the front of her shirt and yank her body from its ball on the floor.

'WHY DID THEY WANT THEM?!'

I bring her face close enough to mine that the tinge of salty blood could be counted on her pores. The knife went across her throat. The evil woman, utterly unfazed by what she'd done, who she'd hurt, curls her lips into a satisfied smile. As if this were the height of her job; to watch people finally succumb to the pain she'd inflicted.

'Did Lewis Dodgson put you up to this job?'

Silence.

'Why her?' I demand. 'Why him?'

More silence.

'Are they headed for their Dolomite Mountains headquarters?'

All that answers me back is the distant screams of pedestrians and birds above the window awnings.

'Lets just get out of here,' Claire wavers. 'Barry will know how to handle this.'

But so did I. Unorthodox or not, I wasn't going to let this woman win. 'If you are cowardly enough to side with that asshole, then I won't ask you this question again,' I growl hoarsely. 'Tell me how to find them.'