Chapter 2: Meeting the Avengers

Tony smirked and floored the gas, rocketing back to Avenger headquarters in upstate New York with no regard for the speed limit. I also had no regard for that number. A normal billionaire and a multiversal speedster, what a pair of speed breakers we were. I quickly sent an email to my boss, saying I wouldn't be coming back—ever—and giving the plethora of reasons why, adding a screw you to the end—the guy didn't even know what was in an Americano, the easiest drink in the coffee business. "You better not change your mind because I am officially unemployed."

"Until tomorrow." Tony commented from the driver side. A newfound excitement bubbled up inside me, I knew I was impulsive but not this impulsive, except the one time that got me stuck in a time loop, but what could possibly go wrong with being employed by the Avengers? Ooh right, that was me forgetting that I had superhuman speed to keep from them.

Tony pulled up to the front door and tossed his keys to a valet. I grabbed the ice cream again and followed him into the lobby, well aware that I stuck out like a sore thumb. I was still wearing my work clothes, that is coffee stained jeans and tee shirt, I was carrying a three gallon tub of ice cream and I was walking and talking with Tony Stark as if I was supposed to be (I probably wasn't). Not to mention that my hair was literally white with blue roots—I told people I dyed it but it was all natural, if I didn't vibrate at such a high frequency, it would just be blue, but with the speed thing, it bleached most of my hair white because of the speed at which it moves through the air. Yeah, I was not gonna go unnoticed. Cue the fourth wall sigh.

Tony walked through security, but when I tried to follow, I was stopped, but he called back, "she's with me." Like a juvenile, I stuck my tongue out at the security guard as I went after him. Stepping into the restricted hallway, he said, "FRIDAY, look into getting security clearance for Jesse, I don't want her to have to get an escort every time she comes and goes."

"Of course, sir." A British robot voice said in the walls. I would've jumped but I was kinda expecting it, the Tony Stark doppelgänger in my world had something similar named CASS, he said it stood for 'Consult All Stark Shit', it always made me snicker when I thought about it.

"Nice to meet you, FRIDAY." I said, looking up at the ceiling.

"Welcome to Avenger Headquarters, Miss Sharpe." FRIDAY greeted, causing a smile to light my face.

Tony led me into an open concept communal living room, kitchen, and bar. The place was huge, easily three times the size of my apartment and this was just a single room. I gazed around wide eyed, speechless, this was so much better than the Shack and I hadn't even started yet.

Tony took me on a quick tour of the floor, showed me where everything in the kitchen was (where I put the ice cream away), and finally introduced me to the bar. "I was thinking that I would set you up here, and you can finally show me your skills with alcohol."

I laughed as I acquainted myself with what he already had. A whole wall of alcohol, a small sink, shelves of different types of glassware, an ice chest and maker—currently filled with canned beer, no doubt for Steve or Clint—beverage garnishes in a small cooler, bartender equipment (shakers, jiggers, juicers, blenders, mixing glasses, etc.), but nothing that was barista specific. Glancing over to the kitchen, there was a single coffee maker that looked like it had never been used.

Tony stood there expectantly with his arms crossed over his chest as I did a quick assessment of what he had and what I needed. "I'll make a list for FRIDAY. Starting with an espresso machine, I'm thinking this is a good spot for it." I gestured to a stretch of counter space that didn't have seating on the other side. "And that canned beer has to go."

"I agree. FRIDAY, give Jesse anything she needs." Tony authorized. "You wanna stay for lunch?"

"Absolutely, what're you makin'?"