sixteen. je suis une amie

chapter sixteenje suis une amie⎯⎯⎯⎯

chapter sixteen
je suis une amie
⎯⎯⎯⎯

The girls were in the library the next day. "Are you reading that fast or fanning yourself?" Spencer asked Hanna as she noticed Hanna was flipping the pages of her magazine. Hanna looked up at her. "What?" She asked, confused. "Uhm, sorry." she said before looking back at her magazine, before looking up again, noticing Caleb peeking out from a bookshelf, looking at her and tilting his head, motioning her to meet him, making her sigh and stand up, catching the attention of her friends. "Where are you going?" Josie asked as she watched Hanna walk away. "Uhm, I left my lip gloss in the history stack. Gotta find it." she said, before rushing away leaving the girls confused.

⎯⎯⎯⎯

After school, Hanna and Josie were over at Aria's. "Just don't think about it. It'll make you crazy." Hanna said from Aria's bedroom floor as she filed her nails while Josie was braiding her hair. "How am I supposed to not think about it? It's too freaky." Aria retorted. "If my mom's car hadn't stalled–" she said but Hanna was quick to cut her off. "Well, it did." she said. "Don't look a gift card in the mouth. The universe gave you a pass." Hanna said as she went back to filing her nails.

"That's not the universe I know." Aria muttered as she looked at Hanna. "Well, look, it all worked out, okay? And that's what counts." Josie said, trying to be optimistic. "Maybe the universe got a little help from someone." Hanna added as they heard a door close. "Someone with really good intentions." Hana said but Aria shushed her. "Shh."  she said as she got up and put her ear to her door.

"That's great, I can pick you up." he said over the phone before he laughed softly. "I can find you in the dark. I've done it before." he said. "Okay, I'll see you soon. Bye." he replied to whoever was on the phone before hanging up. "Hey." Aria said as she opened her door, startling her dad. "So, you're not going to that department dinner anymore?" she asked, confused as he shook her head. "Oh, no, no." he denied as he shook his head. "Was that mom you were talking to?" she asked, making him shake his head. "Uh, no, no, no, it wasn't." he said.

"So, you sure you guys are gonna be okay here alone tonight?" he asked, changing the subject. "Sure." she said, nodding. "Okay." he said, sending them a smile before leaving as Aria went back into her room, Hanna continued what she was saying. "Okay, look, Aria, even if it wasn't the universe–" she started but Aria cut her off. "Shh." Aria said, trying to stop Hanna from talking as she listened to the front door shutting. I'm just saying if it's not a coincidence, then maybe..." Hanna started but Aria cut her off as she watched her dad get in his car and drive off.

"Come on." Aria said as she grabbed her bag, making Hanna and Josie look at her confused. "Where are we going?" Hanna asked. "To follow my dad." Aria said like it was the most obvious thing. "Where?" Josie asked as she put her jacket back on and stood up. "If I knew that, we wouldn't have to follow him." Aria sassed making Josie chuckle. "Aria..." Hanna trailed off as Aria sighed. "Han, my dad's about to have dinner with somebody in the dark. Move it." Aria said as she walked out of her room Josie and Hanna followed.