2 | a body and a crime

"Knock knock!" A voice calls from outside our cabin door the next morning

"Knock knock!" A voice calls from outside our cabin door the next morning. I glance up from my book at the sound.

Somehow immediately knowing who it is, Harper jumps up and creaks the door open.

"Shut up Wes, people are still trying to sleep in here!" She whisper-shouts. 

He pokes his head the door and sees me sitting at my desk, obviously not sleeping and raises a brow at Harper. "Yeah, I don't think so Harp. Vi's awake and Astrid can sleep through just about anything."

"Okay, fair enough."

"We're heading down for breakfast, wanna come?" He asks gesturing behind him to where I can see Finn and Juni standing. 

"I don't know, we probably shouldn't leave Astrid by herself."

"I'll stay and wait for her to wake up, you can go Harp." She turns to me, a hopeful look in her eyes. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Positive."

"Thanks Vi, I'll make sure to save some you two some food."

I smile in return and turn back to my book as Harper leaves with Wes. Wes and Harper have been best friends since the day they met at the age of 3. They're inseparable, both being on the swim team and in similar classes at school. When she's not with Astrid and I, Harper can be found with Wes. 

Through the cracked window, I can hear the chatter of other campers making their way to breakfast. 

"Where's Violet and Astrid?" A voice asks. One I can recognise without needing to see his face. 

"Good morning to you too, Arjun." A voice I recognise as Harper's responds.

He mutters an apology before I hear Harper answer his question. "Vi's waiting for Astrid to wake up and then they'll meet us there."

"Shouldn't we wait for both of them?"

They must have started walking off, as that's the last part of the conversation I hear. I unconsciously clutch the gold ring on the chain around my neck. The one I have matching with Juni and that I've never had the heart to take off. 

Today is considered moving day, even though all the campers arrived last night. It means we get a day free of activities and to unpack and reunite with old friends. 

"Hey guys, you know what we should do tonight?" Harper excitedly asks as we walk back from dinner. The sun is starting to go down, but the camp is still bustling with life. After a day of unpacking and lounging around in our cabin, I feel more exhausted than I probably should. 

"Sleep?" Astrid asks hopefully. Seems like she feels the same way. 

Instead of responding to this, Harper just shoots Astrid a look. "I think we should sneak out to the lake tonight," she continues.