Chapter 24 - The Devil Has Family

After hearing my father's words, I tensed up a little. My first immediate thought was that they had found his parents. He'll be going home, I thought. I was almost certain that's what Dad had meant. But when I thought back to his words, I hesitated. He said he found something out about Jasper.

"What did you find out?" I asked, and he looked at me before gesturing towards the hallway. We left the living room and walked up the stairs, down to his office. He sat down in his desk chair and moved the mouse to wake up his laptop. He opened up a file filled with words and numbers that I could never dream of understanding, and highlighted a small portion of it.

"After sorting through hospital records, it appears that Jasper may or may not have had a twin," Dad spoke, clicking on a few files. I wasn't sure if I had heard him correctly. If Jasper had a twin, did that mean Nora kidnapped him or her as well? Or was that twin with Jasper's parents? I relayed these questions to Dad, who rubbed his hand over his mouth. He looked thoughtful for a moment. "We're not sure. Nora took all of his files with her, including his birth certificate. They have separate files for births such as twins, triplets, and so on and so forth. We looked into it, as much as we could. Again, we have to be wary of confidential rights. From what we could find, it seems that there is a possibility he could have a twin."

"This makes me wonder why Nora only took Jasper," I said. I lifted myself up onto his desk and crossed one leg over the other. We sat in silence for a moment, thinking this over.

"There are many logical reasons behind that. Nora has a lot of problems, as I'm sure you know by now. Given the logical reasons...the other baby simply could have been out of her reach at that time, leaving Jasper under her care."

The wooden desk felt oddly cold beneath my legs, and chills spread throughout my body, causing my toes and fingertips to tingle. Images of my nightmare flashed through my mind. Why had Nora's hands been bloody in the dream? And why had Jasper turned the gun on myself and the other baby? These questions remained unanswered for the time being, but hopefully I would find a way to answer them.

"Do you think the other twin is alive?" I whispered, wondering where in the world he or she could be.

"If there is one, who knows. My guess is yes, considering there were only traces of Jasper in Nora's home. We took the bloodhound in and he found nothing apart from Jasper. Normally this would ease tension, but it only worsens it. Now we just need to figure out why she took Jasper."

"She could have simply taken him because of her mental disabilities," I offered, trying to be helpful. I knew it wouldn't do much, though. I wasn't fit to be a detective or even close to one, I left those things up to my dad.

Dad tilted his head to the side, "If you look at the hints, do you really think she took him just for the hell of it?" I ran through the hints in my head. There were surprisingly quite a few of them. They had all raised many questions, some of which I wasn't able to answer on my own. The fact that she kept Jasper in one room. Not the cellar itself, but one room. The fact that she kept him fit, slightly educated, and isolated from the outside world. She must have had reasons for factors specific as those.

"How will you ever find those answers without questioning Nora herself?" I asked, threading my fingers together. I couldn't imagine stepping foot inside her jail cell, sitting down and questioning her. It would be too much for me. I wouldn't be able to refrain from chucking my chair at her and then smashing her face into the nearest wall. Perhaps after I had finished those actions I could find some rationality, and then ask her some questions.