Delusions

"Dude, just tell us where you were last night," Jeff repeated, exasperated with me. I grinned and leaned further back in the armchair, taking a long drag from the joint I had rolled about twenty minutes earlier. I handed it to Gareth and shrugged.

"I told you, man. I was at the drive-in with Margot Patterson," I answered. I kicked my feet up on the coffee table and waggled my eyebrows at him.

"This obsession has turned delusional," Gareth commented, blowing a skunky puff of smoke out. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

"Do you guys really not believe me?" I asked. This was not as fun as I thought it was going to be – I wanted them to be as excited as I was.

"Munson, buddy," Jeff started, leaning forward and setting his elbows on his thighs. "I know you like Margot, and I know you are excited to be partnered with her. But you don't need to lie to us to seem cool. We know you aren't."

I rolled my eyes again but shrugged. I don't mmm think I cared anymore – I knew what had happened. I knew that Margot Patterson picked me to be her first kiss. I knew that I made her melt when I kissed her.

"I know what will convince you," I exclaimed, jumping up.

Okay, maybe I did care.

I grabbed my phone, tromping back over to the armchair and plopping down. I started dialing Margot's number – I had memorized it the day she gave it to me when we first became partners. She thought it was important for the project. I cleared my throat and felt my stomach flip and flop with every ring.

"Patterson residence."

I grinned.

"Hi, Mr. Patterson – it's Eddie Munson," I said, glancing between my friends. They looked at each other, confused.

"Eddie Munson! How are you?" Mr. Patterson greeted. I grinned, unbelieving that one of my heroes knew my name. I crossed to the counter, grabbing the book he had given me and tossing it at my friends. They were even more confused, studying the book.

"I'm well, sir, thank you for asking. How are you?" I asked back. My friends were still confused, trying to decipher what I was trying to tell them.

"Is that Eddie?" Margot had heard her dad. I grinned at how excited she sounded.

"I'm great. Are you calling for Margie?"

"Yes, sir," I replied.

"She's right here – hey, why don't you come by for dinner tonight? I would love to get your thoughts on some short stories I've got. And I know Margie wouldn't mind having a buddy at dinner."

"Dad!" She sounded embarrassed and my smile grew. She snatched the phone from him and shooed him away. "Eddie?"

"Hi, princess," I replied, my butterflies flying around my chest. My friends' eyes widened, and they jumped up, walking over to hear better. She giggled into the phone, and I wanted to reach through the receiver to touch her.

"Hi, Sir Tiebaut," she replied. I could hear the smile in her voice. Gareth's jaw dropped and he smacked Jeff on the chest.

"So, you need a buddy for dinner?" I teased. She groaned.