Chapter 30 - Festival Fiasco

Draft #207 - Nostalgia

I have never been one to reminisce my past - there are simply too many pitfalls that I must navigate to even find one pleasant memory - but alas, there are times when I do find myself aching for what has been, knowing that I will never feel like that again.

There have been too few memories for me to linger over. I do not wish for that to be the case for my son. I will give him so many good memories that he will simply not know what to do with them!

And perhaps, I... may get a few of my own, too.

***

"Do we have everything?" Rulshkka asked fretfully for what had to be the seventeenth time.

"For the twentieth fuckin' time-" he miscounted, apparently, "we have everything! Let's go already!"

"Watch your language," both Thruul and he said. Kohgrash rolled his eyes. He was nearly bouncing in place, much to Vi'mrakka's delight, who he held at the hip.

"I wanna eat food," Kohgrash whined, looking much lighter than he had in the last few months. Imprisonment had suited him just as well as it had Rulshkka. "And I won't even be able to eat any of Thruul's food! So hurry up!"

Vi'mrakka was just a few days shy of turning two, and with his upcoming hatching day came the festival. Rulshkka was undeniably nervous about this event - it's been two years since he's had to make sure everything was up and running correctly, but since Rukka wasn't storming into his house, angrier than a raging Trasskn, he had to assume that everything would pan out.

But that didn't mean he couldn't be nervous about it.

It was Vi'mrakka's first festival. There would be no doubt in regard to whether he'd remember it - Rulshkka's first memorable festival had been when he was forty years of age, after all - but he wanted it to go well. He hadn't gone last year. Thruul had shamefacedly confessed to him that he hadn't been able to muster up the energy to go put on a facade for numerous Vokkrus for seven days straight, and Rulshkka had quickly washed away those apologies with whispered reassurances and affection.

Rukka, Kac, and Nohkka met them at the festival entrance. Nohkka looked just as excited as Kohgrash usually was, and the reason for that quickly became clear.

"Uncle Rul!" she exclaimed, throwing herself at him after hugging Kohgrash tightly. She had quickly surpassed him in height, something that she enjoyed rubbing in immensely. "You finally get to see me in the play!"

Rulshkka beamed at her, crouching to hug her in return. "I am quite excited. Won't you tell me what role you are playing?"

"Nope!" she said, swiping three claws across her mouth in a mime to keep quiet. "No telling! It's gonna be a surprise!"

"Tell me and Vikka," Kohgrash whined, grinning at her charmingly. Rulshkka rolled his eyes as she went over and whispered in his ear. His expression lit up in what could only be described as mischievous glee. "Awesome."

"You can't tell him, okay?" Nohkka said, hands on her hips. Kohgrash shifted Vi'mrakka onto his hip and zipped his lips together, tossing away the 'key'.

"Paperwork, Rul," Rukka grumbled, shoving him on the shoulder toward the dreaded tent.

"Kohgrash?" he asked hopefully. The human squinted at him suspiciously before making a show of sighing loudly.

"C'mon, little man, let's go help your dad with super boring, awful, horrific, terrible, no good paperwork," Kohgrash frowned heavily at Vi'mrakka, swiftly changing into a beaming smile when the hatchling matched his frown. His son quickly smiled back. "You're so smart. My smart little hatchling!"