pt. 1

tessa

hardin and i are up right now at 7:15 getting ready to send emery off for her first day of kindergarten. we are getting dressed because we are supposed to walk her into school. my little baby is start kindergarten, i can't believe it.

i throw on a pair of blue jeans with a white tank top and cute slides. hardin wears a little more color now than the usual black. he has black jeans on with a white t shirt. it's a working progress.

"c'mon hardin i wanna go wake her up!" i exclaim cheerfully almost not being able to stand on my own two feet i'm so excited.

"ok tess, but remember she's not a morning person." he remarks with a smile. "i'm sure she'll be excited about her first day of school." to be completely honest, i'm probably more excited than she is. her little backpack, and first day outfit. o my god she's going to look so cute!

"c'mon!" i say nagging him "ok ok let's go." he says and takes my hand. we walk down the hall to my little girl's room and open the door making it creek with every move. i look in and see her sleeping peacefully. we walk over and i sit on her bed and rub her back as hardin stands next to me.

she slowly stirs in her sleep as she wakes up.

"happy first day of school emery!" i say softly but nonetheless filled with excitement. i look up and see hardin smiling at his little girl.

"no back to bed." she groans and turns over facing away from us. my smile slightly fades as i was hoping she'd be ready to go, but i remembered she's her fathers daughter. always a task to get out of bed. it's 7:30 right now and school starts at 9, and i don't want to rush.

"emery it's your first day of school! wake up!" i say with every work being more cheerful than the last.

"no i'm tired." she groans as she still is facing the other way. her not being a morning person is really putting a damper on my mood. i look up at hardin with eyes that beg for help. he walks to the other side of the bed to where emery is facing, he bends down and lifts her up into his arms. "c'mon emery, let's go eat breakfast." he says walks out of the room. i walk behind them as we head down to the kitchen. emery has her arm wrapped around his neck with her face nestled into his neck. i love these two so much.

we get into the kitchen and hardin sits emery onto one of the barstools. she immediately lays her head onto the marble counter. i snicker at her similarities to her dad.

"emery what would you like to eat; i can make waffles, pancakes, french toast, anything." i ask

"mmm waffles." she says barely audible

"ok waffles it is, hardin come help me." i chirp and grab the ingredients and mixing bowl.

emery sits and plays on her ipad while hardin and i make the waffles. he's little help as he mainly messes around, but the effort was there, kinda.

"em, are you excited for school?" i ask trying to spark some conversation with her. she's a very social kid so i'm not super worried about her making friends, but she's very stubborn so it makes me concerned about the schoolwork.

"no." she responds bluntly not drawing her attention away from her ipad. i look over at hardin to see his reaction and find him looking at me for mine.

"why em." he asks with slight concern but also authority.

"i dunno, i don't really like a lot of people." he says being 100% serious but making me and hardin laugh.

"you have to keep an open mind, you can't go in with that attitude. try to like everyone." he says. it may be hard to believe for some people, but he is the best dad. he is so caring towards emery and always gives her the best advice, even though it's not something he'd do himself.

"and i don't wanna do this whole school thing. like numbers and letters." she remarks making us laugh again.

"well em, you gotta get used to it. you have at least 17 year of it." i say

"what!" she says with shock and her eyes go wide. "o my god." she groans

we talk with emery a little bit more about school until breakfast is ready. we eat and have a good meal to send her off for for the day

we go upstairs and get her dressed and ready for the day for the day

"mom i don't wanna wear this dress." she complains and we are standing in front of her closet

"aw emery, you'll look so cute though, we bought this just for today

"aw emery, you'll look so cute though, we bought this just for today. please just wear it today." i beg her. she is so funny about her clothes. one day she'll wear something and the next day she'll hate it.

"nooooo." she whines and dramatically throws herself on the floor

"c'mon emery be a big girl." i say

"mom i am a big girl." she says with sad

"big girls don't complain about the dress they're wearing and throw themselves on the floor. well unless you're your mom." hardin joke. i smack him playfully and slightly laugh.

"fine i'll wear the dress." she says and i sigh with relief. she always listens to him which is annoying sometimes but mostly a relief.

she gets dressed and just looks so damn cute.

"can u go pack her lunch, i'll do her hair." i ask hardin.

"tess, are you saying i can't do hair." he asks taking offense to what i said.

"that's exactly what i'm saying." i state being 100% serious. "that's fair." he says and walks out to go make her lunch.

i brush out her long blonde hair hearing her complain at every knot.

after she finishes in the bathroom, we go downstairs to prepare to leave. hardin is sitting at the counter and stands when emery comes into the room

"ok emery, come get your book bag." hardin says hands her her book bag.

"daddy i'm nervous." i hear emery say softly and i look up and see leaning against his leg. it makes me so sad to see her so nervous

"don't be nervous, you are going to do so good in school." he says and kneels down to her height.

"i don't wanna go all day." she says quietly as she walks away. she used to go to preschool for 3 1/2 hours monday through thursday.

"just get through today and then we can talk." i say and she nods knowing damn well there will be no further conversation mostly because she will love it. we just have to get her there.

"ok c'mon emery let's get going, it's a ten minute walks." hardin says and we walk out to his car

we all start walking emery to her first day of school