chapter 7

DISCLAIMER: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling. This fiction is purely for my own enjoyment and yours. No money is being made by me or anyone else from this fiction.

From somewhere in the house, Hermione heard Malfoy shouting and throwing things. She rolled her eyes. Would he ever grow up? She bent down to fasten the buttons on Evanna's coat. Naomi stood at her side, practically dancing with excitement. "Can we go now, Mummy?" she asked impatiently. Hermione smiled down at the girl.

"Yes dear, now we can go."

"Yes!" shouted Naomi, jumping up in the air. Hermione laughed, then jumped as she heard Malfoy's angry shout of "Granger!" from somewhere down the hall.

"Let's get going girls," she said, casting a quick glance at the hallway. She really didn't want the girls to have to deal with an angry Malfoy. She picked up Evanna and took Naomi by the hand. "Do you want to use the floo powder for me, dear?" she asked Naomi. The little girl nodded enthusiastically and took a handful of the powder.

"Diagon Alley!" she called out clearly and threw the powder at her feet. Hermione tightened her grip on both the girls as green flames enveloped them and they were sucked through what felt like a tube, passing grate after grate before finally stopping at the Leaky Cauldron.

"I did it Mummy!" Naomi said proudly.

"Yes you did," said Hermione fondly squeezing Naomi's hand. "Now come on girls, let's get out of the grate and brush ourselves off, in case anyone else is coming," Hermione said briskly. She brushed a bit of soot off her shoulder, then pulled out her wand and scourgified any remaining dirt off her and the girls.

Still holding Evanna, she led Naomi to the back of the pub. Tom, the barman nodded respectfully as she passed, and all the girls gave him brilliant smiles. Hermione tapped her wand on the wall and watched as it opened up. Naomi and Evanna thought this was amazing, and gasped in pleasure, much as Hermione had when she had first seen it.

"Can we go to the bookstore first, Mummy?" begged Naomi, tugging on Hermione's hand. Hermione laughed. Definitely my child, she thought.

"Yes, of course dear," Hermione assured the girl, who beamed in response.

"Get book?" asked Evanna, wiggling in Hermione's arms.

A sudden sinking feeling assailed Hermione. She had no money with her, and no idea where her key to her vault in Gringotts was. How would she buy things for the girls? She bit her lip. "Yes dear," she assured Evanna. Perhaps the Malfoys have a tab. Surely everyone knows they'd be good for it. She put it out of mind for the moment.

They made their way through the crowd slowly, with Naomi and Evanna wanting to stop and look at something every few minutes. Hermione was also surprised to find so many people nodding their head towards her and saying hello. Is this how Malfoy feels when he goes out? Surely everyone isn't this friendly towards him, she thought while smiling at witch in violet robes who had just stopped to say hello and wish Hermione and her family, "the best of health."

Finally they reached the bookstore. Before the entered, Hermione bent down and pulled both the girls close to her so she could talk to them. "Now girls, I want you to stick close to me in here, alright? No running off to look at something without asking," she said with a firm look at Naomi. The girls nodded. "Alright then, let's go!" said Hermione, and the girls giggled and followed her into the store.

Once inside, Hermione breathed deeply, inhaling the smell of fresh parchment mingled with ink and leather. She sighed. At least some things didn't change. She was itching to explore the potions section to see if she could find any books that might help with her and Malfoy's situation, but Naomi and Evanna dragged her over to the kid's section of the bookstore. Despite the seriousness of her predicament, Hermione couldn't help but grin in delight as she and the girls looked through the brightly colored books. Wizard children's books were much different than muggle children's books. The illustrations, of course, could move and make sound, making the whole thing much more hands-on and exciting. Evanna found a story about a dragon she loved, and Naomi picked one about a goblin. Hermione couldn't say no to their pleading faces, so once again she silently prayed that the name Malfoy would allow for a tab.