Hunting Buddies

"Boot scootin' boogie, Jack," (Y/n) huffed, slamming the freezer drawer closed, "You might as well just lay down and starve because we're out of organs."

Over the past couple of days, the snow had fallen deep enough to cover the bottom half of her windows, so (Y/n) had no real intentions of hunting for Jack's food. Her sickness had gotten worse as well, so even shoveling her way outside had been thrown out the window.

"You've got to be kidding," Jack groaned, one large hand over his stomach as he watched her from his prison cell.

(Y/n) only sighed and plopped down in a chair, her bitten arm falling limp at her side. Jack looked at her desperately, like she was able to conjure food out of midair.

"What do you expect me to do?" She muttered, not even looking at him. Her anxiety was high enough, she didn't need his 'kicked puppy' look to add to it.

"Let me do something I know you won't like."

(Y/n) pressed her hand over her face, groaning.

"I've already told you no," she grumbled, exasperated, "I've told you no 10 times. If I had a shot for every time I've said no—"

"Okay I get it, hush, dang," Jack huffed, "But look at me, we got no other choice."

"Even if I went with you, I'll freeze out there. And don't look at me like that, you know I'm not letting you go alone."

Jack groaned, stretching out on his back across the floor.

"What if I got Seedeater? My pet?" he asked, sounding desperate, "I'll have him stick by me to keep me warm, so you can use both coats."

(Y/n) looked at him like he had three heads, and he threw his hands up in the air.

"I'm. Starving." he grumbled in self-defense.

(Y/n) leaned back in her chair, sighing and staring at the ceiling.

"What even is Seedeater, your dog or something?" she asked, exasperated, "He's probably frozen out there, I wouldn't get your hopes up."

Jack chuckled.

"Yeah, no, he's not a dog," He sounded like he was smiling, "And he's definitely alive out there. It takes more than a snow storm to kill something like Seed."

While Jack still hadn't answered her question, she couldn't help but see his proposition as their only option. If Seedeater was really as alive and apparently warm as Jack claimed, she would also be kept warm enough with both Hank's coat and her new deerskin one as well. And, with Jack's assistance, he would be able to carry what she couldn't.

The only thing holding her back was the fact that Jack could bolt the second she opened the door. Plus this Seedeater would probably eat her the second it laid eyes on her.

"It'll be fine," Jack mumbled half-heartedly, "I know you think I'll run away, it's all over your face."

(Y/n) sighed, closing her eyes. Of course it was.

"Well, will you?"

Jack laughed.

"In this weather? I wouldn't be able to make it out of the county without freezing to death, with or without Seed. Nah, we'll go hunting for a few hours then you can cage me up again."

He sounded way too casual for what they were discussing, but (Y/n) guessed he had learned to accept his situation and her train of thought. She mumbled incoherently, rubbing her tear ducts with her fingers in agitation.

"So are we going hunting or not?"

She let her hand drop and turned her head to him. He was sitting up now, those lifeless sockets staring at her intensely awaiting her answer.