Chapter 4 - Behind The Mirror

Because of so much self-absorption, Princess Kayleigh pulled the nicely curved corners of her mouth a little higher in amusement

"You think you are smarter than you are," she told the brazen thief as the Princess held out the mirror to him. "It will be enough to demonstrate your skills, and we will not bring you a mirror that can be used to escape."

Damn.

Keir frowned traitorously for a moment. Was he really that easy to see through?" In the northern tower, the mirror twin lies in a lonely chamber," the Princess explained to him patiently, "There, we have also prepared a jewel of black pearls from the southern seas, which you are to bring here through the mirror."

"A string of pearls?" Keir's hands clasped the precious gem, which to his chagrin, was far too small even to set foot through. The mirror was only the size of his palm and, thus, just about big enough to put his hand through. Keir toyed with the idea of risking a look in the armory instead of the tower room ... there was almost always a helmet big enough to reach through. Following the thesis, his eyes roamed over the numerous soldiers who flanked the room as silently as statues. What good would it do him to get hold of a sword or anything else?

"You should not even think of it," the king's harsh voice rang out as if he had been able to read Keir's mind, "Do as you are commanded and do not give yourselves over to the vain hope of escape. If you dare to take another step in the wrong direction, Mirror Walker, you will pay for that attempt with your life."

The thief twisted his lips into an unhappy, narrow line at these words. He had been in dicey situations before but had always escaped. This time, however, he saw no loophole.

"Of course, Your Highness," he replied with exuberant emphasis and bowed his head in (feigned) humility. Someone like him, who had to eke out a living since childhood, quickly learned when to bow his head and bare his teeth.

With a resigned sigh, Keir turned the mirror in his hands afterward. On his shoulders pressed the weight of toneless expectation, which was revealed in the eager faces of King Ulric and Princess Kayleigh. Even a guard or two turned their heads curiously and clung to him as if he were about to perform a miracle.

From the silver surface of the hand mirror, the furnishings of this room and the high ceiling with its ornate wooden beams gleamed at him. Firelight soaked the shadows darker and climbed over the stained woods, making them shine golden yellow. But as fascinating as the sight might be, something significant was missing: his reflection.

Keir had never been able to look into his own eyes or look at his features. For most people, looking at their faces was part of the start of every day ... But not for him. In the beginning, he hated it. The whole world was revealed in water, coins, and silver mirrors. Every animal, every person, and every object found its counterpart there.