Chapter four: An Emotional Nightmare

Shadow POV

Kira is still my rider, I'm getting to know everyone but I spend more time with Winger. He has been so kind, Cutter IS admittedly a bit funny, Burple is... kinda cute but not THAT kind of cute. You know... puppy-dog cute.

Here I am having a race with Winger around the Roost. I always win the races because Night Furies are faster then Swiftwings, but he challenges me time and time again. Ha! He's so competitive. Me too, honestly.

"Shadow wins!" Kira shouted. I look at Winger who is dumbfounded. "Wha- b- Wh-rematch tomorrow?" Winger asked. I playfully rolled my eyes and smirked. "Your on," I said. "I think our dragons are getting a bit competitive," Dak said.

"Ya think?" Kira asked. "If they keep this up, every single NIGHT they'll be up racing!" I gave her a dull look. "Oh.... Shadow would be because he's a NIGHT fury."

"We sleep too but whatever," I said.  "We're not the dragon nerds," Dak said. "that's my sister's job." He added. "Where is Leyla anyway? Shouldn't she been shouting 'Go winger' or 'go Shadow'?" Kira asked.

"She's getting fish."

"I'm back. Who won?" Kira and Dak point at me. "Well, that's no surprise, Night Fur--" before she goes on a rant, I start a fire with my plasma blast. "Note to self, add that to my diary..." she says.

We ate food. Aggro helped Dak, Kira, and Leyla's fish be cooked. It got dark so we went to sleep.

Flashback~

I was playing with my sisters, Comet and Twilight when we heard something. Nightstar was out hunting for fish. "What is that!?" They ask. I hid behind them. "Those are hunters!! Comet, Twilight, Shadow, run!" Our mother, Aurora, ordered. "Stay at the cove! GO!"

We ran to the cove our dad, Obsidian, talked about. The hunters found us. "Shadow! Don't look behind you." Comet said. I looked and there was a Hunter. "AAAAAH!!!" I yelled. I closed my eyes, waiting for the shot...

But it never came. Instead, the Hunter shot Twilight. "TWILIGHT, NO!" Comet said. "No Sis wake up." I said. More hunters came and Comet stood in front of me protectively. "Go!" She yelled.

"What? No!" I denied. "I'm NOT going to have my little brother die at five years old!" Comet said. "GO!!!" She ordered and plasma blasted them. I got away, but, Comet wasn't so lucky...

I went back and I saw two dead bodies. One being Twilight and one being ...Comet...

"NOOOO!!" I yelled.

"NOO!!!" I yelled, waking up from my horrible nightmare. I broke down into tears. I decided to take a little fly for a bit and I did. I landed near a lake after a few hours. I miss you, mom, dad, Twilight...Comet. I thought.

"Trying to pull an all-nighter?"

I looked around for the source and looked behind me. The voice belonged to Winger. I sigh.

"No. Just thinking," I lied, hoping I sounded convincing.

Winger didn't buy it. "Shadow, I know when one of my friends are depressed. What's wrong?" He asked.

"I had a nightmare..." I said.

"Oh," I saw his face soften. "What was it about?"

"My family dying..." I told him.

"Wanna talk about it?" He asked.

"....Yeah." I said after a few moments.

"My family was a group of Night Furies. There was a male and a female, my mom... and dad. I had three siblings. Nightstar, Twilight, and Comet. One day, me, Twilight, and Comet were out playing. Nightstar was hunting for fish. And then hunters showed up..." my voice stared to break. "my mom and dad told me, Comet, and Twilight to run, we did and I think th-they were killed. We ran to a cove and the hunters followed us..." I started tearing up. "One of th-the hunters were about to ki-kill me... but they shot Twilight instead... Comet told me to run and I did... I went back... they were--" I closed my eyes, letting tears flow. "--gone!" I started crying, remembering the memories. I felt some scales on my head. I opened my eyes and Winger was nuzzling me. I nuzzled back.

"Shadow i'm so sorry that happened to you, but I know that your mother and father were probably great parents. And Comet and Twilight were incredible sisters, Twilight sacrificed herself for you. Comet protected you as if you were her son. They loved you."

"Thanks Winger..." I said. "Your welcome. You want to sleep with me tonight, so you won't have any nightmares...?" He saw my face go red. "No! No! No! N-not like th-THAT!! Just... as friends!" He said, stuttering. I giggled.

"Sure, Winger." I smiled at him. He smiled back. We laid next to each other and stared at the stars. We looked at each other. I went to sleep.

Winger POV

Shadow just went to sleep. He was snuggled up against me. I blushed so hard. I went to sleep on his head. I felt our tails intervene together to make a heart. His scales were so soft... so warm. That's it, I love him. So much and forever. If only I could tell him...

Maybe someday.

Shadow POV

Wow. Who knew Winger's scales could be so... warm? They're not like my brother's, I'll tell you that. My brother's are so hard and cold. These... wow. I love him so much. I wish I could tell him....

Maybe someday.