Chapter Nine

The Rosen House

Sanibel Island

Florida

"How are you feeling today, Mena?" Gideon Palmer asked just as soon as Lady Philomena Forbes was settled on the wooden bench, out on the porch, overlooking the lake. Palmer was in his usual seat, Jacob Rosen's old wicker chair, and he had invited her to join him outside for some coffee, before another decisive session with Pan Deacon. Three generations of the Rosen/Fletcher family had discussed the issues of their lives in that exact spot, including two Presidents and the man who had built the modern CIA, and it brought back so many strong memories for him, just sitting there. There had been some extremely difficult conversations over the years, trying to get Caitlin back and stop the tide of Reformism sweeping all around them, and he particularly remembered Jacob finally getting Brianna to tell them some of the things that had happened to her whilst she was living with her father, but he was rather afraid that what he wanted Mena to tell Deacon would be worse. She looked calm again, dressed in pale blue silk, with her hands resting together in her lap. But he reckoned that was an act, for his benefit maybe, or she was trying to fool herself.

"Numb, Sir...if I am honest...I still can't quite believe that I am here?" She admitted with a little smile, looking down as she always did, addressing him formally although he had asked her several times to call him Gideon or Prof. She had managed Professor once or twice, but she had been trained to behave like a respectful Daughter of Eve, and she could not just kick the habit. Brianna had been the same for months. "You are all being so very kind to me...and I am not being of much use?"

"Nonsense...your testimony so far has set the scene for them...they now understand life in the convents a lot better...and so do I...we have never had that sort of information before and it is very powerful stuff...it will make a difference, Mena?" Palmer insisted, trying hard to give her some confidence. She was clearly nervous beneath the surface.

"I hope so, Sir...I think Mr Deacon believes me...but he is not the arbiter...is he?"

"No...his job is to prove the merits of our case...the judge and jury here will be the Security Council of the United Nations...and then perhaps the International Court...but this is too big to be taken to that level...unless they are sure that serious crimes have been committed...and with your help, we will convince them of that, Mena...I promise?" Palmer sighed, reaching out to pour her a cup of coffee. "I talked to Bishop Osborne yesterday?"

"I thought that your communications were being blocked, Sir? My husband was always particularly proud of his ability to stop anyone talking or writing to anyone he did not want them to?"

"Yes...their systems are very good...but we managed to break the code...and Sebastian is doing as we promised...Ralph Winstanley is not a bishop anymore," Palmer said gently, not wanting to spook her. "But Sebastian needs more evidence...as does Mr Deacon...about the abuse you suffered at Ralph Winstanley's hands. Our serious allegations against the Order are comprehensive but the church will resist Sebastian's demands to change things unless we can give them the real details. There is a danger that they will sweep much of this under the carpet...unless we force them to face up to the cold hard facts...I don't want Ralph just retiring to the country...and I don't want any other women to suffer like you did, Mena?"

"I have already told you all about the beatings? The relentless work? The conditions? Isn't that enough to make them change?" She asked, because she was reluctant to relive what had happened to her. And Palmer understood that. He did not blame her for not wanting to go through it all again, even though he was not entirely sure of the details himself. He knew how Winstanley had done it, and Osborne had managed to get a few statements before he had to leave the Priory, so they both knew that it was bad, but not how bad.