25

Lucian had shrunk back to my size and was about to pull me towards him when I vehemently pushed him back

"You're a god?!" I asked and Lucian looked contrite. "Yes I am."

"You're the god of the underworld?", I asked, though of course I already knew the answer.

"Yes, I am Pluto. God of the underworld. Lucian is my call name when I dwell among the humans from time to time."

I was furious. Why was he here? Why was he trying to help me? Why was a god here?"Wait a minute please. Stop. Does that mean you know where the island of the old gods is?"

I asked slowly, looking Lucian staringly in the eye. After all, Lucian was one of the old gods himself. He should know that, shouldn't he?

Lucian nodded slowly and my eyes widened. "Then take me there." Lucian shook his head.

"I can't do that!" he said and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Why not?"

"Only gods or mystical beings are allowed in this place," he said, eyeing me up and down.

"Testios said that I have this special gift inside me. Doesn't that make me a mystical creature?" I asked and Lucian shook his head again. "No, you got that ability because of your blessing." I stumbled. My blessing. Did Lucian perhaps know more than he wanted to tell me?

"Lucian? Do you know something about my blessing?" I asked cautiously, hoping that this bad premonition of mine would not become reality.

Lucian ran his fingers through his hair and narrowed his eyes briefly. "Yes."

He knew. What a big fuck up.

My heart was pounding as I stared at Lucian, waiting for him to explain what he knew about my blessing. "What do you know?" I demanded, my voice shaking with anger and fear.

Lucian hesitated, his expression pained. "I shouldn't be telling you this, but... your blessing is more than just a gift. It's a curse."

What exactly did he mean by that?

"A curse?" I asked and Lucian nodded. "You are the child of Jupiter.""I'm what?" I asked, startled, and Lucian avoided my gaze.

"You were born to be my wife," Lucian said and from that moment on there was nothing but emptiness in my mind.

"You want me to be...what?"

"I'm sorry, Yona," Lucian said, his voice soft. "I know this is a lot to take in, but it's the truth."

I shook my head, unable to process what he was saying. "No, it can't be. I'm just a mortal. How could I be the child of a god?"

Lucian sighed. "Your mother was mortal, but your father was Jupiter, king of the gods. It's a long and complicated story, but the important thing is that your blessing is tied to your destiny as Jupiter's daughter."