Chapter Forty

The icy air bit into the flesh of Beatrice's face, the only part of her left uncovered by the several layers of fabric that draped her petite form. Still, the layers of her dress seemed powerless against the snow, causing her teeth to clatter and her fingers to tighten their grip on the arm of the butler as they trudged through the snowy streets in search of Catherine.

Beatrice turned from left to right, seeing nothing. The fog clouded her vision, and the temperature made it impossible to concentrate on anything beyond staying warm. It was bad enough that Catherine had left the house in such unfavorable weather, but what was even worse was the fact that no one knew where she went. Beatrice did not know where to begin her search; certainly not where to end it. And by God, Beatrice was ready to end the search. She had half the mind to turn back and return home to the comfort and warmth of her bedchamber.

But she couldn't. Her conscience and guts made it impossible to turn her back on Catherine, not when she thought something was wrong. Perhaps Catherine was difficult to live with, but she was every inch a gentlewoman; she would not stay out so late into the evening without a word as to her whereabouts, and the fact that Catherine failed to send word was enough sign that something was terribly wrong.

"Do you suppose you might have a clue as to where the dowager Lady Camden might have gone?" she asked the butler, who walked beside her.

Richardson shook his head, his hands clasped before him as he clenched his teeth. "I am uncertain."

"But an idea... perhaps an old acquaintance."

"There are many of those, my lady. I'm afraid if I try to pinpoint one, I might fail woefully."

"But there has to be someone she considers a close friend. Do you suppose you might know anyone?"

He shrugged. "I suppose, but her home is a long walk from here."

Shivering, she leaned in closer to the butler to draw from his warmth. "Is there a shortcut?"

"None that I shall suffer my lady to go through."

"I insist."

"It might be too dangerous. You run the risk—"

"It is worth the try, and I don't think there are any bandits hiding in the snow, waiting to leap out and rob us, considering this terrible weather. I'm certain we shall be safe, and the sooner we find out what has happened to my lady, the sooner our return to the safety and warmth of our home shall be."

The butler appeared to be ready to argue, his lips parting slightly, before he nodded and turned to lead her off the road and into the woods. Beatrice fought the urge to bury her nails into his arm as they walked, biting down on her lower lip instead. She didn't dare entertain the thought of coming into harm tonight, but the darkness and cluster of trees scared her.

Deciding then that if they didn't find Catherine in the home of her acquaintance, she would beg to use their carriage for the trip back home, she forced her legs forward, keeping her gaze on the path ahead until she caught sight of something flickering in the darkness.

"Do you see that?!" she gasped, motioning to the light.

"What?" The butler turned toward her pointed finger, the frown on his face deepening. "Yes! Yes, I see it."

"What is it?" She cupped her hand over her forehead and squinted for a better view of the strange object.

"Looks like a..." He trailed off, releasing her hand as he stepped forward to inspect.

"Be careful, it might be a trap." The thought of getting robbed tonight kept her glued to her position. But the butler paid her no mind as he made his way toward the object.