Chapter 12

Phosphenes dance across my vision as I open my eyes to bright sunlight

Phosphenes dance across my vision as I open my eyes to bright sunlight. The sky is bright blue and the sounds of birds singing echo through the fluttering of the leaves. I lift my slender fingers in the air. Round overlapping shadows from leaves play in and out on my palm, my fingers dancing to an unheard tune. Butterflies with their shiny azure wings circle my wrist like an enchantment spell. Everything is serene-calm-soft like home-like a hug. I feel the brush of tender hands on my forehead, the tinkling of tiny silver bells hanging from a bracelet and the sweet smell of jasmines-Mom?

I try to get up so quickly that my head spins and I fall back again. Phosphenes cloud on my vision, swarming like bees, greens and yellows and blues-dancing like bubbles-and they clear and I'm back in the same place, except the forest now reeks of something ominous. The shadows are still playing on my hands in the air-kissing the pale skin, tiny scratches and the deep scars alike. If they hurt, I wouldn't know because I don't feel a thing. The scar marks are a tender crisscross of stories waiting to be told.

A cruel face appears in my vision-snowy white hair and freezing eyes that never thaw. "There's no time to laze around. Get back to practice young lady, or else..."

The world spins again, accompanied by a wild throbbing that seems to rise from the back of my neck and spread across my temples and around my eyes. The light against my shut lashes is too harsh.

"Light!" I try to say but my voice is inaudible, almost a whisper. I hear a scuffle of steps and the light is dimmed immediately. I force my eyes open slowly. The ceiling is stark white with yellow ceiling lights around the edges. It's a room I don't recognize.

"What happened?" I ask groggily.

"Well, a part of a balcony collapsed."

"Ergun?" I place my palms flat against the bed, raising myself. My head feels heavy but I'm not a weakling. I've been through hellfire before but somehow the explosion had blacked me out.

Ergun is peering at me with a look of concentrated worry. He looks nervous and restless. "You okay?"

"Mhmm." I nod, still trying to process what happened. I look around. It's a small dorm room overflowing with things-books, maps, papyrus-tiny artefacts made of shells and metals on the study table-wooden charms, tiny plants in pots. It's like one little magical den in there. "How long was I out?"

"Ten minutes I guess. You gave me only enough time to carry you in." he gives a small laugh, but I can see that it doesn't reach his eyes. Something is bothering him. I can hear a commotion outside, lots of people talking at once, shoes scuffing against concrete and barked orders. The commotion is coming towards us.

"Sir!" I whip my head back to see a guard burst into the room. He's dressed in black from head to toe, with little gold braiding on the shoulders to designate them as parts of the royal troops. It is strange because the royal troops come on campus only on celebratory occasions. The campus security is qualified enough to investigate any happenings on campus.