Chapter Three

I know pain, but I also know love

I know betrayal, but I trust you

I may know hate

but I can't hate you

I can be cold, but I choose to give

And when there's nothing left

for you to take

I'd offer more just for your sake

Cooper

Present Day

Every day since Emma left, I found myself driving around all of our familiar places. A part of me always hoped I'd bump into her and we'd magically start right where we left off. The truth was, I don't know where we left off. She'd left so sudden, and without saying goodbye. It wasn't the way I'd pictured things to end between us. To be honest, I didn't want it to end. But, we both had different plans. None of which included the other. Not really. Then, after spending the Summer with her, something changed between us. At least, that's what it felt like for me.

I'd planned on taking her with me, creating a life together. During the last two weeks of our summer together, I'd picked up extra shifts at work to save up enough money to get her something special, a gift to show her I was serious about her, us.

But, I never got a chance. She'd left town before I could prove to her my love was real. It wasn't what we'd planned. Her biggest dream was to get out of this damn town and create a life of her own. I envied her fearless determination. It was something I lacked. I think that's what initially drew me to her. She didn't care about what anyone else thought, or worry about things not working out. I had my own dreams. I didn't want the life my parents had created for me. I wanted a life of my own. A life on my own terms. I too wanted to leave Ash Falls, but my plan was to come back as a self-made man, without the influence of my parents' social and financial status.

In the end, she was the only one who was able to leave. I stayed behind, for reasons bigger than myself.

I never got around to telling her, but her optimism inspired me. I admired her will to simply be who she was. No excuses.

I've spent the last four years, thinking about all the things I'd do differently. If time travel existed, I'd go back to the very first day I met her and do it all over again. Make better choices. I'd do everything in my power to keep her in my life.

Once she'd returned, I thought it'd be a matter of time before she'd come looking for me. When she didn't, I had no other choice but to look for her.

I parked my car at the Inn where Emma is staying. I glanced up toward her window and prayed for a glimpse of her. I'd give anything to see her smile at me. A smile that would melt the strongest of hearts, including mine.

Now, all I had were memories. Memories of a seventeen-year-old girl who four years ago had stolen my heart. The girl who, who unknowingly, made me realize there was no way I could ever live without her. She didn't know the things I'd planned for her, for us. She didn't know I'd convinced my parents to give me two years, away from them, and Ash Falls. To live life on my own terms. To do the things I wanted. And, if in two years I hadn't come back a success, I'd take over the family business.